Cabling in commercial cooker hood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to fit a light in the cooker hood of a commercial kitchen. There's already a light fitted, plastic IP rated batten, with cable in conduit of some sort, run in the lower lip of the hood, but, they want a light in a higher position where the cabling will be more exposed to heat. What I can't quite decide is how much heat it would be exposed to, with the fans running the airflow must remove most of the heat? Has anyone else done a job like this, and what materials did you use. NB I'm kind of stuck with running inside the hood due to the existing cable entry point.

What sort of temperature are you anticipating at the new light position and the cable route, I would of thought tri-rated cable in a metal flexible conduit would be a workable option but without doing some checks when the kitchen is running it is difficult to assess what the ambient temperature may be where the light is being fitted

What sort of temperature are you anticipating at the new light position and the cable route, I would of thought tri-rated cable in a metal flexible conduit would be a workable option but without doing some checks when the kitchen is running it is difficult to assess what the ambient temperature may be where the light is being fitted
I have done some reading on cooker hoods, temps are lower than expected at around 120C according to one site - I guess the airflow keeps temps down. The fact that there's a plastic IP rated light fitting in there already (bodged in) does give me some confidence that temps aren't that high. So metal flex conduit, a good old fashioned glass and metal bulkhead and some heat resistant cabling I think will work. I will also look at taking the cable run to the external surface of the canopy.

I think keeping as much as possible outside the canopy is advisable if only for cleaning purposes.
Cleaning inside those things is a PIA at best and having flexible, or even rigid conduit in there is going to make it worse.

Recently done one the canopy had LED strip supplied in it everything done from above but this was new install

Latest posts