can I run 17600w constantly on uk power supply ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you already have the setup, and also that it represents considerable investment and planning.

I'm just wondering why you didn't have a three phase supply installed, or move the whole thing into a small commercial  unit, rather than a house. 

It sounds like you already have the setup, and also that it represents considerable investment and planning.

I'm just wondering why you didn't have a three phase supply installed, or move the whole thing into a small commercial  unit, rather than a house. 

its a good question but a long answer, I did own a factory and sold it a couple of years ago when the local council decided to increase rates by 220%, it was used as a personal pension but I lost my backside on selling it as the value dropped massively due to the increase by the council and no one wanted to buy it.

as for the power supply, its a property on my land that I used for holiday lets and it was available and free to use. it is a lucrative side business in reality although the electricity use is high but the profits match and beat the cost so well worth the investment. My concern was based on the wires capacity to feed the supply. Im not an electrician but found out some more information last night from the electrician who fitted everything in the building.

The property has its own feed of 35mm cable from the feed pole to both our main house and also this property. this was laid by the power company. I don't really want to invest any more money changing the power supply as they cost sooooo much only a short while ago and any further costs would just make the profits from the mining drop which would render the project worthless.

My concern was mainly down to wether the wires are able to cope with 24/7 usage.

I am told that each miner runs off its own 32amp or 16amp ring main with peak draw being 2200w. each 32amp ring has 2 miners so a total peak of 4400w and each 16amp ring has 1 miner with a total of 2200w.

All wiring is around 3 years old in the property.

I have done a lot of research and seen people overloading their supply so I just thought that this place would offer some good advice regarding the power side of things.

I do appreciate your answers and time guys :)

its a good question but a long answer, I did own a factory and sold it a couple of years ago when the local council decided to increase rates by 220%, it was used as a personal pension but I lost my backside on selling it as the value dropped massively due to the increase by the council and no one wanted to buy it.

as for the power supply, its a property on my land that I used for holiday lets and it was available and free to use. it is a lucrative side business in reality although the electricity use is high but the profits match and beat the cost so well worth the investment. My concern was based on the wires capacity to feed the supply. Im not an electrician but found out some more information last night from the electrician who fitted everything in the building.

The property has its own feed of 35mm cable from the feed pole to both our main house and also this property. this was laid by the power company. I don't really want to invest any more money changing the power supply as they cost sooooo much only a short while ago and any further costs would just make the profits from the mining drop which would render the project worthless.

My concern was mainly down to wether the wires are able to cope with 24/7 usage.

I am told that each miner runs off its own 32amp or 16amp ring main with peak draw being 2200w. each 32amp ring has 2 miners so a total peak of 4400w and each 16amp ring has 1 miner with a total of 2200w.

I have done a lot of research and seen people overloading their supply so I just thought that this place would offer some good advice regarding the power side of things.

It's not the cables I'm worried about its the fuseboard.

I just Googled BTC  Miners  ....none the wiser .... Kerch will know I'll ask him  later .  

Physical currency (paper or coins) rely upon specific businesses being authorised to produce and distribute notes & coins. But they can't just create and distribute currency as and when they feel like it, it has to be controlled and authorised by institutions such as the bank-of-England. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about.  Virtual currencies like BitCoin, use complex calculations validating the existence of the coins and transactions made with the coins, which basically eats up lots of processing power, which needs electricity to keep it running 24/7.

You can't sit at your printer/scanner photocopying banknotes to make counterfeit money, but you could go off to Alaska do some digging and prospecting for gold, which you would then need to get its purity etc verified by a third party to confirm how much your gold nugget is worth, so you may yield a return after quite a bit of hard graft.

And you can't sit at a computer creating quick & easy copy & past virtual currency. It requires lots of mathematical processing and validation by others, which is how the mining analogy comes about. i.e. hard work locating a commodity in demand, validated by others, before you get any rewards for your searching/calculating/mining etc.  This link may help  https://www.bitcoinmining.com/

Or you could go and buy one of these power hungry processors off Amazon; https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bitcoin+miner&crid=32VQL2DOYP3QH&sprefix=bitcoin%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7   and create the Crypto mining subsidiary of Evans Electrical!

Doc H.

It's not the cables I'm worried about its the fuseboard.

If the circuits have been designed correctly for the expected loads, the cables should have been selected in relation to the installation methods, so should be able to carry the power you want. But I am not convinced the average domestic consumer unit is intended to run at higher than average current for over 90% of the time. (you would need to check with the consumer unit manufacture to see if they impose any limitations). If this is just a standard domestic single phase consumer unit I'd be concerned about a single main switch running this load 24/7.  The slightest loose termination on the tails and it will be melted main switch time.  Also MCB's sitting next to each other may have issues getting warm, possibly leaving a blank space between each MCB if you have room in the board would help.  Also I'd consider splitting the tails into a couple of smaller consumer units so no single 100A rated switch was carrying the whole load. Basically you need to ensure nothing gets too warm, as it won't have any lower usage time to cool down. 

Doc H.   

As Doc H has suggested, split down the distribution a little to reduce thermal stress on the MCBs and installation equipment.

I do a lot of work in telecommunications switch rooms and the biggest killer of kit is heat, with high temperatures the kit is working harder and less efficiently, with lower temperatures the PSUs will operate more efficiently and last a lot longer. The more efficient they are the lower their consumption which will in turn lower the load.

A recent innovation has been the introduction of hot and cold aisles, this means that one piece of equipment isn't blowing hot air onto another, cold air is forced from one side with hot air extraction on another, a little bit of jigging around can make a difference. Spread the racks out a little and don't have them against a wall or right next to each other, keep the air circulating.

hot-and-cold-aisle-containment.jpg

Have you actually checked your load current?  It would be very unusual for any type of equipment to be drawing its maximum rated power ALL the time. Your electrician will have a clamp meter.

If you could come by an infra-red imaging camera you could check all the elements of the power distribution system with it and probably remove a lot of concerns. 

I to had to google the bit coin mining thing, found it quite interesting, not something I would personally get into, but interesting all the same, and certainly a new question for the forum as far as I am aware.

I to had to google the bit coin mining thing, found it quite interesting, not something I would personally get into, but interesting all the same, and certainly a new question for the forum as far as I am aware.

Have a look here for crypto currency https://kinesis.money/company-news/ you can get your investment back in precious metals.

I can’t afford to buy in and to be honest I wouldn’t want to. “If you can’t hold it, you don’t own it.”

If the circuits have been designed correctly for the expected loads, the cables should have been selected in relation to the installation methods, so should be able to carry the power you want. But I am not convinced the average domestic consumer unit is intended to run at higher than average current for over 90% of the time. (you would need to check with the consumer unit manufacture to see if they impose any limitations). If this is just a standard domestic single phase consumer unit I'd be concerned about a single main switch running this load 24/7.  The slightest loose termination on the tails and it will be melted main switch time.  Also MCB's sitting next to each other may have issues getting warm, possibly leaving a blank space between each MCB if you have room in the board would help.  Also I'd consider splitting the tails into a couple of smaller consumer units so no single 100A rated switch was carrying the whole load. Basically you need to ensure nothing gets too warm, as it won't have any lower usage time to cool down. 

Doc H.   
I think this is good advice and will get my electrician to do this. I do have cooling in the room and think your ideas are all valid so will speak with him about this.

Have a look here for crypto currency https://kinesis.money/company-news/ you can get your investment back in precious metals.

I can’t afford to buy in and to be honest I wouldn’t want to. “If you can’t hold it, you don’t own it.”
Don't take offence but you cant hold any money in your bank account more than you could cryptocurrency. It is identical in every way apart from who stores it and transfers it.

There is zero difference between you holding currency in a bank as in a crypto wallet in terms of storing and spending other than your crypto wallet being hidden from prying eyes.

Don't take offence but you cant hold any money in your bank account more than you could cryptocurrency. It is identical in every way apart from who stores it and transfers it.

There is zero difference between you holding currency in a bank as in a crypto wallet in terms of storing and spending other than your crypto wallet being hidden from prying eyes.

View attachment 10446