Caravan hookup RCBO change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthb3

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
I wish to connect a caravan hook-up unit to a dedicated 40A supply from the mains. I could use a consumer unit with a seperate 32A socket link-up but i like the compactness of a hook-up unit with the socket and power switch built in. Thing is they are never supplied as bare units, they are fitted with an RCBO. Is it ok to swap out the RCBO for another to better suit the appliance to be powered (welder)? If so, is it required that the RCBO be manufactured by the same company making the hook-up units?
I would be downsizing the RCBO from 63A to 25A type c. The work will be done by a qualified electrician but i want to buy the components then pay for labour only.

40A supply to what?
take out the 63 RCBO ,why?
fit 25A, again why,
why use a 63A socket and fit a 25 MCB?
the hook-up units come with the correct size protection for the socket, why change it? just buy the socket you want in the first place

sorry, I have just reread the first post again, you want to run a welder, what size is the welder? and what is wrong with an RCBO?

40A supply to what?
fit 25A, again why,
the hook-up units come with the correct size protection for the socket, why change it? just buy the socket you want in the first place

sorry, I have just reread the first post again, you want to run a welder, what size is the welder? and what is wrong with an RCBO?
Welder is a Tecarc 231 Mig. The recommended fuse for the welder, according to the manual, is a '25A slow blow'. I made an error in writing the first post. The hookup comes with a 32A RCBO

40A supply to what?
fit 25A, again why,

Sorry, i made an error when writing the first post. The caravan hookup unit comes with a 32A RCBO. I wish to downsize to 25A 'slow blow' RCBO, as recommended by the manufacturer of the welder - Tecarc 231 mig

it would be far better to simply get the sparky to supply the materials as part of the job. supplying materials for someone else to fit almost always goes wrong it some way, if when it does, itll end up costing you more, i.e if the parts are not suitable / faulty

they are also supplied as bare units (manufacturer / supplier dependant)

40A supply to what?
fit 25A, again why,

I made an error writing initial post - The unit comes with a 32A RCBO 2P not 63A. My welder is a Tecarc 231. The welder manual advises a 25A slow blow fuse to be fitted

the in general the fuse/MCB is there to protect the cable not the appliance, if you want to protect the appliance then put the fuse inside the appliance
fit your 32A socket with a 32A MCB/RCBO, you never know what you will need in the future

The input fuse for my 231 welder is listed as 25A slow blow (type C/D?). Would there be any compatibility issues between the brand of caravan socket/hookup unit and the brand of RCBO used if i swapped out the 32A for a 25A? Would the busbar need to be swapped?
The hookup unit is this one https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/pro...-bQudwNxJYXH7GqctdhoCmSgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tecarc Mig range

Specification 230V Single phase161181211231251
Amps range20-16020-18520-21520-23525-250
Duty cycle @ 60%75A90A120A135A145A
Duty cycle @ 35%100A120A155A175A190A
Input fuse (slow blow)13A16A20A25A32A
Welding wire0.6/0.80.6/0.80.6-1.00.6-1.00.6-1.0
Approx. weight40kg48kg55kg58kg61kg

What you have to remember is that an RCBO is not a slow blow fuse .
It is odd they advertise that as a non interlocked caravan hook up socket when BS7671 states they should be interlocked.

I think i need clarification on 'input fuse' as shown on the Mig range table in earlier post. Is this fuse refering to the fuse inside the welder?

Hard to find a clear picture but I believe the fitted 32A device is type C so just leave that one in.