CCTV for farm buildings and farm industry supply shop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although I have some xperience fitting Swan and suchlike over the years, usually bought from maplin and fitted to domestic houses, The farmer wants, in his own words, better than swan and that chinese shite........Im guessing he is not happy with his previous setups....
His farmhouse is 2 miles away from his village farming supply shop and repair workshop. He definitely wants a main camera unit that zooms and pans etc..... remotely.

That is all the info I have at the moment, so what should I pay attention to on my site survey, plus what is a quality, non chinesium sytem I can suggest from you guys on here?

I have my ideas in regards to modern solutions but they seem top end, to me anyway nevermind the customer so if you can suggest options that would be usefull and appreciated.......

cheers n stuff

Pan Tilt & Zoom is relatively easy to do, with the right equipment, as would be multiple cameras, and yes all remotely controlled/monitored. You can even set the cameras (Well the PTZ one/s) to do a "tour" where it will pan/stop (zoom if required) at preset times to preset locations.

The "problem" with Swann cctv cameras is that they were built to a low budget, which also meant they had a low resolution and were also analogue, they have improved over the last few years, but I would not recommend them (Still analogue)

It is true that a lot of CCTV equipment is made in China, also the best quality CCTV cameras are digital (P.O.E.) and as such you can easily control them remotely, but here in lies a problem, for a simple install P.O.E. is relatively easy, but for what the farmer wants, I would suggest you walk away and suggest he calls in a local CCTV company.
I guess you could compare it to someone doing some DIY electrical work, and using the wrong every thing, whereas you would install everything right and safely. (It looks easy, and it is to those who do it for a living and know what they are doing)

The above is nothing personal, since I do not know you.

Pan Tilt & Zoom is relatively easy to do, with the right equipment, as would be multiple cameras, and yes all remotely controlled/monitored. You can even set the cameras (Well the PTZ one/s) to do a "tour" where it will pan/stop (zoom if required) at preset times to preset locations.

The "problem" with Swann cctv cameras is that they were built to a low budget, which also meant they had a low resolution and were also analogue, they have improved over the last few years, but I would not recommend them (Still analogue)

It is true that a lot of CCTV equipment is made in China, also the best quality CCTV cameras are digital (P.O.E.) and as such you can easily control them remotely, but here in lies a problem, for a simple install P.O.E. is relatively easy, but for what the farmer wants, I would suggest you walk away and suggest he calls in a local CCTV company.
I guess you could compare it to someone doing some DIY electrical work, and using the wrong every thing, whereas you would install everything right and safely. (It looks easy, and it is to those who do it for a living and know what they are doing)

The above is nothing personal, since I do not know you.
PoE only becomes a problem with locked down internet such as in schools. I've not done much CCTV, but found it quite simple, bar schools 😄

I have some SriHome cameras, cheap as chips off ebay, 5Mega pixel is really rather good got pan and tilt too ;-)

I probs dont need to do the training course either if its a kit but some customers love a certificate......
I believe ubiquiti do some online courses but with their AR capability it's not really needed. Have a look at their site with the dream machine with the augmented reality when viewed via a phone, it labels all of the ports and shows you whats connected, configuration etc. Config / settings can be changed remotely making support real easy.

Absolutely brilliant gear.

Market Leader – Hikvision

With a global market share of 38%, Hikvision is the world’s leading manufacturer of CCTV cameras and equipment.

As you would expect from the market leader, Hikvision offer an extensive range of CCTV cameras. All the usual camera model types are available, including bullet, dome, turret, and cube. They also offer solar-powered cameras, wifi cameras, and an entire model range of speciality cameras that includes covert cameras and duel-lens cameras.

Hikvision cameras feature a range of high-tech tools, including people counting, vehicle and person detection, night vision in colour, and strobe and audio alarms.

But, and this is a big one, the Chinese state owns a majority share of the company, which has led to a series of security allegations being made against Hikvision. The primary concerns are Hikvision’s involvement in the repression of the Uyghur people in northwest China and the alleged existence of backdoor access to their cameras, which might allow the Chinese military to see what you see.

These concerns have led to Hikvision being banned in the United States and there is growing pressure to ban the company in the UK and the EU as well. If you’re considering buying Hikvision then you’ll definitely want to consider the possibility that the brand will be banned in the near future.

What’s more, Hikvision suffered a massive search breach last year. It was demonstrated that any Hikvision camera could be accessed remotely. As with Swann, Hikvision were quick to resolve the problem, but the incident proves that Hikvision’s cybersecurity is not up to scratch. https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecuri...ties-banned-chinese-surveillance-tech/185689/

----------------------------------------------------------------

A bit worrying perhaps but I have an oppo phone and there were security issues with that too . Still available to buy in the UK.
Only thing is, the customer wanting the cctv, seems to be a prime customer in this case so installing a secure, future proof system first time is paramount. Simply because I know there will be more jobs to follow if I get this one right.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I have found a local cctv outlet/supplier who stock many more makes/manufacturers, so I will arrange to visit their store probs friday........

I believe ubiquiti do some online courses but with their AR capability it's not really needed. Have a look at their site with the dream machine with the augmented reality when viewed via a phone, it labels all of the ports and shows you whats connected, configuration etc. Config / settings can be changed remotely making support real easy.

Absolutely brilliant gear.

cheers John.......

cheers John.......
Youre welcome.
My son introduced me to this gear in our IT business, on first use I was absolutely blown away with quality, ease of use etc. We have used it on several sites now including some farms and it's never failed to impress. We recently had thefts from our shop and police said its the best CCTV footage they've ever had, they were able to pull stills from the video and gain a successful prosecution.

I'll shut up now, as you can tell I'm a fan of this gear.

Youre welcome.
My son introduced me to this gear in our IT business, on first use I was absolutely blown away with quality, ease of use etc. We have used it on several sites now including some farms and it's never failed to impress. We recently had thefts from our shop and police said its the best CCTV footage they've ever had, they were able to pull stills from the video and gain a successful prosecution.

I'll shut up now, as you can tell I'm a fan of this gear.
Nothing wrong with being a proud fan of a technology company. As an installer and end user/prosumer, when you can research kit, install it and not worry about it afterwards, everybodys happy......recommended products are usually worth their weight in gold, especially if they have a good wholesale prescence and availability.

Simply because I know there will be more jobs to follow if I get this one right.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I have found a local cctv outlet/supplier who stock many more makes/manufacturers, so I will arrange to visit their store probs friday........

Don't forget an essential rule of running a small business...
It is ONLY the current job you are contracted to do that has any monetary value to your business income..
{prospective jobs and promises are of ZERO value until you have an agreed contract, (verbal/written), for additional work.}

Make sure you do it right and cover your costs so you still earn a living but don't get multiple call-backs for faulty kit or items not working as the customer expected, that all eat back into your profit margin!

As with almost all types of new-tech equipment, products can change, update, almost more often than you change your pants..!
And your average electrical wholesaler may not be up-to-date with the changes to the whole of their product ranges..?

Personally I would look for a dedicated security CCTV/ALARM type supplier.... (which it sounds like you have found?)..
Give them a spec of what you are looking for... And ask them for costs for appropriate cameras etc..
And ask them what support turnaround times they can offer if any of the gear they supply fails?

e.g. what happens if a camera you have supplied and installed fails within the first 12months..?
And you end up with loads of hassle returning something via post to an online supplier--- vs ---
Take some gear in a box to your local supplier who also wants to keep you happy to retain your future business!!

Also advise your prospective customer that you are more than capable to install, set-up, and support any system he/she choses to have installed..
BUT certain aspects can be outside of your control..
e.g.
wi-fi coverage..
firmwear updates to the gear you have supplied..
updates to Apps installed on their phone...
etc...

e.g. slightly different subject but 3 or 4 years back the hands-free on our phone while in the car stopped working...
Popped up the local garage who service our car to get it fixed..
But were told it was an Apple problem....
took nearly 4 months before a phone update allowed the car-hands-free to work again correctly!!!!!

So Basically... Some bits CAN be outside of your control....
Which may NOT be good if you have a really really angry customer!!

A clearly written contract / quotation of what you propose to install can be a very valuable friend with any work that involves "grey-areas".

Don't forget an essential rule of running a small business...
It is ONLY the current job you are contracted to do that has any monetary value to your business income..
{prospective jobs and promises are of ZERO value until you have an agreed contract, (verbal/written), for additional work.}

Make sure you do it right and cover your costs so you still earn a living but don't get multiple call-backs for faulty kit or items not working as the customer expected, that all eat back into your profit margin!

As with almost all types of new-tech equipment, products can change, update, almost more often than you change your pants..!
And your average electrical wholesaler may not be up-to-date with the changes to the whole of their product ranges..?

Personally I would look for a dedicated security CCTV/ALARM type supplier.... (which it sounds like you have found?)..
Give them a spec of what you are looking for... And ask them for costs for appropriate cameras etc..
And ask them what support turnaround times they can offer if any of the gear they supply fails?

e.g. what happens if a camera you have supplied and installed fails within the first 12months..?
And you end up with loads of hassle returning something via post to an online supplier--- vs ---
Take some gear in a box to your local supplier who also wants to keep you happy to retain your future business!!

Also advise your prospective customer that you are more than capable to install, set-up, and support any system he/she choses to have installed..
BUT certain aspects can be outside of your control..
e.g.
wi-fi coverage..
firmwear updates to the gear you have supplied..
updates to Apps installed on their phone...
etc...

e.g. slightly different subject but 3 or 4 years back the hands-free on our phone while in the car stopped working...
Popped up the local garage who service our car to get it fixed..
But were told it was an Apple problem....
took nearly 4 months before a phone update allowed the car-hands-free to work again correctly!!!!!

So Basically... Some bits CAN be outside of your control....
Which may NOT be good if you have a really really angry customer!!

A clearly written contract / quotation of what you propose to install can be a very valuable friend with any work that involves "grey-areas".
Wow, great advice that I will take and apply. I have indeed found a dedicated cctv supplier who offer technical support and remote updates as required. I need to ask also in regards to the subscription cost of after care before quoting the customer also.
I will have my usual list, of questions when I meet them tomorrow.....they stock Hikvision, ubuquity amongst others.
Then I have to survey the site for the customer next week. Then I will undoubtedly have more questions from them....all part of the process and I am learning too, which I like.
Looking at some of the gear available now, sub £1000, I might upgrade my home too. especially now I have an ever increasing amount of tools to keep an eye on and we have just bought our first family puppy.....

Looking at some of the gear available now, sub £1000, I might upgrade my home too. especially now I have an ever increasing amount of tools to keep an eye on and we have just bought our first family puppy.....
You'll need the money to repair puppy damage 😃

It is useful to have the same equipment at home to understand the niggles, and faults that can occur.

I might upgrade my home too. especially now I have an ever increasing amount of tools to keep an eye on and we have just bought our first family puppy.....
It can be a good confidence building exercise with prospective new customers if you can say you have the same kit installed in your own home...
(and may make fault finding, reconfiguration or various other customer questions easier to answer at a later date. )
🍻