CDM

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CDM is 2007, however Statutory Regs do not "time out".

Spin,

I think I read your post incorrectly!

As in you mean the year of the regs, not is there a year to go as in a year left!

My original explanatory post indicates the year, SI 2007 No 320.

The original regulations were prior to this date however.

When quoting statutory legislation one would do well to quote a major ammendment such as 2007 No 320 then add "as ammended" this then means the reader must refer to the latest ammended version of the published law.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, the ESR 1984, were superceded by the ESR 1988 and then by the ESQR 2002, and I believe that there is now an ESQCR 2009.

That's not what I'm getting at however.

Generally in the 2391 exam there is a question asking the examee to list 2 non-statutory documents and another asking for 2 statutory.

We usually tell students that BS7671, GN3 and GS38 are non-statutory.

We tell them that EAWR 1989, Part P and the Health and Safety at Work act 1974 are statutory.

I was thinking that CDM 2007 could be added to the list, but on reflection, I don't believe it is applicable to inspection and testing, as no construction is taking place.

Spin,

That could be a play on words, the exact wording in CDM can only be interpreted in a court of law.

However, as I said earlier staturory regs to not "time out" they may however be replaced by subsequent legislation where there will be a reference in the new to the old giving the supercession.

Also, your reference to I&T would depend on the answer that C&G require, they could well be wrong if they would not accept CDM as I&T could be considered maintenance and maintenance is covered by CDM!

C&G are not the be all and end all, I have previously found flaws in their papers and courses and even in those I have proofed which have still found their way into the published drafts, that is they have ignored my comments!

Am I correct in my understanding that these Regulations do not apply to domestic dwellings?

spin, if you are responsible for any part in the design then yes, it applies to domestic.

Also under the Health and safety act any part of your work that involves risk which nowadays involves everything you have a duty to do risk assessments and method statements.

I would think that if, ad verbatum, all electricians who are self employed would have to work to CDM.

I'm a bit confused, a domestic client doesn't have any duties under CDM Regulations, the project doesn't have to be notified, but as a contractor or designer I have to comply with them???

Spin,

Yes you do!

Weird I know.

Sceptic,

The length of the job is ONLY relevant as to whether it is notifiable to HSE under CDM, the regs still apply regardless of the duration of the works.

Latest posts