Ceiling light maximum wattage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobaguk

Reaction score
I found a ceiling light that I really like. Reading the small print it says Max Wattage 28W Halogen, 3W LED.

My question is, why would the max wattage be lower for LEDs than Halogen? I wouldnt get enough brightness from 3W bulbs, based on the current fitting, I would want 5-6W. Intuitively, I would think a wattage rating is for the wiring etc, and the wiring doesnt 'know' what kind of bulb are plugged into it, just what power its drawing.

Last edited:
Rather than comparing wattage of the lamps you may be better looking at the luminous efficacy or the lumens / watt output of the lamps.
The lumens / watt output of LED lamps can vary quite significantly and it is possible to get a 3W LED lamp which is a lot brighter than a 5 or 6W LED lamp
The wattage limit on the fitting may be down to the LED driver that the fitting has built into it, you don't say what type of lamps the fitting you are looking at takes which may indicate if an LED driver is fitted

Led bulbs are about 90% more efficient than halogen

So a 3w led instead of 28 w halogen sings about right to me

So 5 x 3 w will be more than bright enough imho

So a 3w led instead of 28 w halogen sings about right to me

I get that 3W LED is the EQUIVALENT of 28W Hallogen, what Im getting as is we have a 5 or 6W 5-bulb fitting currently and want a new fitting that puts out the same amount of light as that, and I dont understand why unless there is some custom circuitry inside, you cant put 5x5-6W LEDs in a fitting that takes 5x28W Halogens

"28W Eco Halogen / 3W LED" it's not the total wattage is looks like badly worded 'these are the lamps you need' ie halogen 28W or LED 3 W

6 halogens would almost be a greater wattage than my entire house of LEDs :D

You CANNOT compare Watts withnWatts you have to compare LUMENS with LUMENS
Im not, Im comparing the Lumens you get from the new LED bulbs I have put into the current fitting recently, with the lumens you get from a new 3W bulb.

Also the current fitting is an exposed candle bulb fitting, with the new being a frosted enclosure fitting, so if anything I'll need more light output than I currently have for the same lighting effect.

the max wattage used to be the amount of heat the light could safely dissipate without burning with incandescent ' halogen lamps. too high wattage = too much heat = light burnt

as for max LED wattage being far lower than the halogen, id ignore it. still far less heat coming out of it so the burning issue isn't there