Dimmer switch randomly switches itself on

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreihoff

Reaction score
Could I please have some help with the following strange situation?

We have a Varilight dimmer switch for the ceiling lamp in our little one's room. The ceiling lamp has 6 x 13W Philips LED light bulbs. Every now and again (could be hours or weeks apart) we find the lights are on (not just glowing) even though we are sure we've switched the switch off. We took this to Varilight who sent us a new dimmer module and a load regulator to wire up in parallel to the lamp (L and N). A few days later we found the lights on again.

Varilight's technicians are now saying they are really confused by what is happening but did suggest the LED bulbs are charging on residual current so they sent out another module and an interference cap (snubber). If that were true the LED bulbs would just be glowing surely?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Well, 2 things spring to mind

1. when switching off the person unintentionally puts the dimmer into programming mode

2. try a different dimmer- such as the Hamilton LED dimmer

Is this dimmer one with a rotary on/off function..
e.g. the dimmer has to be rotated past the lowest level before it turns off?

Or is it one with a push on/off function..
e.g. the dimmer can be pressed while the lights are at any level low or high, and it will (should) turn them fully off?

If push type.. do your fault symptoms differ if you turn the lights off at varying light levels?

Other thoughts & side notes:-
1/ Why no earth connected.
2/ miniature push fit wago's are better in the back of light switches rather than the more bulky lever ones visible in the photo.
3/ I would probably not have stuffed so many wires into the actual switch terminals..
(better to wago multiple cables together then single wire into switch terminals )
4/ 6x 13watt LED's???? 13watt are pretty high power LED's sure you don't mean 3watt??

Might I suggest you try another brand of dimmer switch such as this one Click me reason being it's not made by varilight, and if you are not happy you can send it back. Varilight are never going to say "try a different make of switch."

I have to admit, 78 watts (6 x 13) does seem a bit much for one room.:oops:

Pull the knob off and try that. What I've found sometimes after being push /hit on and off a fair few times the stem goes too far in the knob shaft and when pushed off it doesn't engage enough so comes back on. With the varilight there is normally a delay(soft start) when coming back on so possible you don't realise it's come back on. A tiny bit if blue tack normally solves it