Ceiling Light Wiring Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubntplayer

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to change a ceiling light fitting and I pulled out the current fitting and it was connected like this: https://ibb.co/QcBtFCX

Lack of earth aside, does that look ok/safe/standard wiring? I know some of my house has very old wiring so just wanted to check this is safe enough before I proceed.

My main question though is I'm not sure how to connect this to my new fitting, which came with no wires, just connection sockets. The blue/brown in the picture above are hard wired into the old fitting. I could snip them and hope they are long enough, but if not what sort of replacement flex should I buy to fit from that junction box to the new fitting? I just want two blue/brown wires I guess, would something like "3-Core Round Flex Cable, 2183Y 0.75mm White" be sensible? Not sure what thickness is safe to use on this kind of connection?

Thanks so much for any help!!

What is the new fitting?  What type of connections?

Many light fittings have push in connectors that are meant for solid core cable.

Lack of earth aside, does that look ok/safe/standard wiring? I know some of my house has very old wiring so just wanted to check this is safe enough before I proceed.

Thanks so much for any help!!

Your new fitting does not appear to be a ClassII (Double insulated) fitting, therefore NO. it is NOT safe.  It is impossible to tell if the rest of the circuit is sufficiently compliant with wiring regulations, and thus safe enough to be energised from the limited information you have provided. A few basic electrical tests on the circuit and verifying what type of protective device is fitted at the fuse box would need to be done to give an accurate answer. Also If you have no earth on your lighting circuit then it probably dates from pre 1966, which makes it 50+ years old with potential for a whole raft of hazards due to age, wear & tear, other possible DIY "unconventional" wiring methods.  

What do the wiring instructions for the light fitting say?  

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
your new light requires an earth. you dont have 1. so no, it cannot be safely fitted (and chances are, the existing lights are potentially dangerous too)

Ok thanks, fair enough. The existing fitting that came with the house is metal and has an earth wire that's just sitting there not connected - so that's not going to be at all safe! I'm changing it because it has a transformer in the light fitting that makes an annoying buzzing sound :( On the fuse box side, there is no RCD on the lighting circuits.

If I buy a double insulated fitting, will it wire into that junction box directly? Or will I need other parts/wires?

It's going to be a few years before I can do a full house rewire sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I buy a double insulated fitting, will it wire into that junction box directly? Or will I need other parts/wires?

There is no junction box in your picture? Just that bit of connector dangling on your wiring.

Doc H.

Sorry, I meant the connector thing. Would a double insulated light fitting come with wires to connect to that, or would I need to buy some separate flex, if so which kind?

It should come with some connectors on of some sort , which should be marked L & N     . 

Be warned !   Double insulated fittings are usually  expensive compared to  Class 1 .  

You can always go with fitting standard pendant drops & get the missus to choose some nice shades .   

Latest posts