Changes To Part P

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days I'm begining to deaf out a lot of the incoming that is supposed to affect us as I just can't be bothered any more .

But I just recieved the ELECSA newsletter  which refers to "Changes to Part P ."     I'd thought it was basically allowing unskilled hands/ DIYers to do more electrical  work  domestically ....thus increasing domestis fatalities . 

But I spotted this nugget.   I quote :-  

"  The provision to allow the use of a registered third party to certify notifiable work."   ( Other than Local Building Control)

Then it launches into a load of guff on insurance backed warranty stuff .....does anyone care ?

I noticed the same with Napit, apparently from April my qualification for inspection and testing is out of date and I need to update it, now luckily for me Napit can offer me 2 or 3 options to have me back upto speed in no time ....ranging from £600+vat to £ blah blah blah couldn't even be bothered reading it to be fair...... They may as well come clean and send electricians letters stating "send us more money or we will make something up that will cost you even more"

Is it not obvious to everyone ????

the sparkies who are working on a shoe string are going to say sod it ,,,,i am competent and good enough anyway i wont renew my membership....

this will knock on to the guys who can afford to do it will think hold on why should I

and from there it falls to bits  and as there is no way they can police it  end of game.......

how many convictions ??????

reminds me must catch up with Sparticus series ......

All members of all scheme providers were sent a questionnaire during the consultation process, I am afraid not enough made their voices heard. Each and every member had a say in what should be discussed, even the idea of scrapping the Part P and replacing it with another.

The changes in Part P are still very much under scrutiny, and is under a sort of review which the government can pull at any time if the scheme providers do not deliver on those promises they made.

That said it is very unlikely that anything will change for the better, the scheme is difficult to police, and successful prosecutions will most likely come from none electrical regulations, which basic ally gives a free run to all none qualified people, and the only ones that suffer are those who abide by the regulations.

So let me get this right (reading other snippets) about the part P revisions:

Kitchens are no longer included in part P

Most outside work is no longer included in part P

So that leaves just Bathrooms and CU changes.

The defenition of bathrooms seems to stop at 2.25M off the floor.  So bathroom lights are not under part P unless the ceiling is very low.

so that just leaves fitting a shower in a bathroom, and a CU change as notifiable.

Unless you do a lot of those, then I wouldn't bother with scam membership, just notify them to labc, or not, as your conscience dictates. 

As I've said before, I wouldn't have thought that many CU's are changed by a DIYer unless exceptionally confident. Which means that most CU's are probably changed by electricians anyhow, just that most of them are not registered to scams and therefore not notified. Which raises the question, with the changes to part p as indicated is there really a need for part p anymore?

As said many times, although not heard by those that change the rules, a single licensed registration for individual electricians would be far more beneficial to the industry and restrictive selling of electrical material would eliminate the Danger In Your home bunch?

But what do I know I'm only an electrician?

I just started to read through the requirements for  the " NEW PART P "     Halfway through I thought ...stuff it !!!

What a mish-mash of over complicated jargon it all is .     To notify or not to notify..that is the question ....whether 'tis a new circuit but in a Special Location but not the Special Location as in BS 7671.

Whether 'tis the space measured vertically from the floor to a height of 2.25m  or whether the shower head is mounted at 2.25 m and where there is a bathtub horizontally to a distance of 0.6m  or whether there is no bath tub at all but a shower head is attached at 1.2m .

Alas poor Yorick ...I knew him Horatio ...when he was a Spark before Part Pee addled his brain and reduced him to what you see before you ....a gibbering wreck who is losing half of his work to un-registered cowboys who ride into town ....ignore the rules the rest of us follow like good little townsfolk ...register nothing , cert nothing ...... throw our womenfolk across their saddles and gallop off into the sunset in a cloud of dust .   

Well I'm sat here reading the one from elecsa, and if I'm honest I feel your pain its all become a joke.

I just started to read through the requirements for  the " NEW PART P "     Halfway through I thought ...stuff it !!!

What a mish-mash of over complicated jargon it all is .     To notify or not to notify..that is the question ....whether 'tis a new circuit but in a Special Location but not the Special Location as in BS 7671.

Whether 'tis the space measured vertically from the floor to a height of 2.25m  or whether the shower head is mounted at 2.25 m and where there is a bathtub horizontally to a distance of 0.6m  or whether there is no bath tub at all but a shower head is attached at 1.2m .

Alas poor Yorick ...I knew him Horatio ...when he was a Spark before Part Pee addled his brain and reduced him to what you see before you ....a gibbering wreck who is losing half of his work to un-registered cowboys who ride into town ....ignore the rules the rest of us follow like good little townsfolk ...register nothing , cert nothing ...... throw our womenfolk across their saddles and gallop off into the sunset in a cloud of dust .   
Me thinks the man doth protest too much!

It's all bollox....end of

Just.....

Said it before... Meter tails in wickes ffs!

There is no point in these schemes if they do nothing, hopefully the bubble will burst & you will see Tony Cable eating a kebab out of a bin.

just legalised robbery really.

Maybe they are opening the market up to Romainians?

Just went to measure up for a bathroom fan and it was 2.3m from floor so it wouldn't need to be notified!??

Pah!

Just went to measure up for a bathroom fan and it was 2.3m from floor so it wouldn't need to be notified!??
My b/room ceiling was a gnats over 2.25m (2,252mm). So I cut 250mm off me tape measure. Now the b/room ceiling is 2.5m. Problemo solved!!

Surely the wiring, for a fan fitted to the ceiling, is technically surface mounted in the loft so is it actually in the bathroom? so is it notifiable? The cover generally requires a tool for removal.