changing my consumer unit for elecsa audit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem i have is i have not done one during training.
You must have done new circuits & completing an EIC including relevant testing required & where to find the infomation from the books you should have?

I dont have a problem doing it just have a few questions on the safe isolation.
And you dont see that as a problem?.... As said contact DNO & arrange for them to remove the service fuse & re-instate when you've done the work, or get them to install an isolator, you could have this & 25mm tails fitted ready for them to connect meter to it, leave isolated do you cu swap & connect new tails dead test installation, turn on isolator complete live testing & cert.

a) How do i replace the tails when the fuse is sealed
Call DNO ....................... I wouldnt advocate you call the seal fairy.

B) I have a megger MFT1730 which tests do i need to carry out.
Doesnt matter a jot wha the meter is, you must undertake all relevant testing required for the work you ave undertaken..........it's in the books you should have;)

c) any advice on this would be greatly appriciated
Please do not take offence as this is a general observation to all who have taken electrical courses

If you dont have the knowledge post your course, I would seek a refnd as the course obviously wasnt up to scratch for the advanced electrical works/testing you are wanting to undertake.

ProDave,

I got talking to someone who works at British Gas and asked them about smart meters, apparently the government has given them a deadline of 2013 for every home to have one. So by 2013 every house will have an isolator in the meter

On the smart meter issue Yorkshire Water fitted a "smart"

transponder to mine only last month.

When he told me he was doing it I thought he was taking

the p**s.

ProDave,I got talking to someone who works at British Gas and asked them about smart meters, apparently the government has given them a deadline of 2013 for every home to have one. So by 2013 every house will have an isolator in the meter
Smart meters and isolators are two separate things. Just because it is a smart meter, that can provide faster more up to date billing information and consumption usage, does not mean it has a built in isolator.

Doc H.

ProDave,I got talking to someone who works at British Gas and asked them about smart meters, apparently the government has given them a deadline of 2013 for every home to have one. So by 2013 every house will have an isolator in the meter
not all smart meters have an isolator

Hi, I have recently done my 2382 and am due to register with ELECSA for my part p. They say i need to complete two jobs one of which must be a consumer unit change. Mine is quite old so i have decided to do that. The problem i have is i have not done one during training. I dont have a problem doing it just have a few questions on the safe isolation.a) How do i replace the tails when the fuse is sealed

B) I have a megger MFT1730 which tests do i need to carry out.

c) any advice on this would be greatly appriciated
[quote name='Andy

Is the OP saying he has not done a CU change, i.e. including swapping tails? As compared to installing and testing a new CU on a college test rig situation? Even without a formal apprenticeship I would have thought the basic college courses, even a fast track one, would include building a test board by installing a CU with socket ring, light, cooker circuits, using T&E, conduit etc. Then doing the dead & live test procedures and filling out sample installation certificates. If this has not been covered on any basic electrical training then someone has been on the wrong course?Doc H.
It would appear maybe that he has just done the 2382 i.e. sit down for a few days / several evenings going through 7671 with the open book exam at the end. There was no practical element when I did my 17th course.

You can see somebody being taken in by a "This is all you need to go Part P" type comment in the college. The thing is that I think the 17th is all ELECSA ask you to have as a requirement. That does show the whole thing up a bit IMO. I can see maybe he would have difficulty in passing the ELECSA audit maybe if lacking the basic knowledge of tests etc.

I did a 35wk / 2 eves per week Part P and there was masses of practical in that right up to doing MIMS - one of the better courses from what I hear goes on elsewhere. I then did the 3-year 2330 college course and the boards on the test rigs were IMO either ancient or pretty simple. I went to two colleges and asking things like how to fit an RCBO was glossed over and never done practically. All the boards were just RCD/MCB variations. TBH as it was the same college I just initially repeated a lot of the Part P practical work at the start of the 2330 - even a lot of the handouts were the same. At least most of it went in doing it twice!

We should have been out in the grounds banging earth rods in the mud etc i.e. real world stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a home made excellent test rig for sale - if anyone wants to buy it, to practice, practice and practice on.

Dear oh dear what have i done!!!

firstly let me explain what i am doin, i'm 54 have been a health and safety manager for the last 23 years was made redundant and someone said be a spark.... so i thought ok and went for New career skills course. I have spent the last year doing tutor marked assessments and 4 weeks in Doncaster doing the practical bits. All of the booths they have are installed with a cu and nothing else. Hence the ( i havent done one during training) as it's already done. Anyway i know some people will see the likes of me as a kind of special community policeman (all the gear and no idea) kind of guy.But i am only trying to earn a living by learning a new skill, you cant buy experience and i thought that was the idea of these forums.wish i hadnt bothered asking. But hey ho live and learn. Gas man came done the job in half an hour and said why didnt you just pull the fuse. We dont mind as long as the meter one is intact. Fills me with joy..........Happy new year to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get disheartened.

You have your isolator now. So you are free to turn of the power, and remove your old CU.

Then fit the new one. The only "new" bit will be connecting the tails from the isolator, into the incomer of the CU, and connecting the earth.

Once you have done that, it's a case of testing each circuit one at a time, and then connecting to the new CU. That should be just the same as testing and connecting the circuits you did on your practical, except this time you are not installing them, just testing them.

Remember, you won't have any power to start with during the CU change, so if you need to drill fixing holes etc make sure your cordless drill is charged before you start. A good head torch is equally useful. Also it's obvious, but start the CU change early on in the day so you have plenty of daylight, and personally I test and connect all the lighting circuits first and get those back on so you have light in the house again.

Before you start, I always do a global IR test on the whole existing board. If that fails, then you know you are going to have some problems to sort out. So if you get poor IR readings do some investigating first.

If global IR is good, then you are unlikely to meet any "show stopper" problems. But you might still find faults like an incomplete ring circuit, or bad continuity readings, which will need sorting out.

The other fault you may find is a borrowed neutral on a lighting circuit (usually landing / stairs light) That again will need investigating, but if you are running out of time and daylight, then for a temporary measure put both lighting circuits on the same RCD, and investigate and correct the next day, when you have plenty of daylight.

Other obvious things are mark each circuit (masking tape and a marker pen) as you disconnect them from the old CU, so you are not left scratching your head with a bundle of similar looking wires.

And don't forget to test / upgrade water and gas earth bonding.

Regarding pulling the main fuse, that's been done to death on this forum. Officially you shouldn't, and certainly in a case where your DNO is obliging and comes promptly to fit an isolator there is no need to. But some DNO's and some energy suppliers are not so obliging. This is where you hear talk of the seal fairy visiting first, but I would NOT advise that approach unless you are 100% certain what you are doing You could be in big trouble if something goes wrong. I particularly draw your attention to some old type metal cased supply heads that can be lethal and I would never touch one of those. In any event, if you do "find" an un sealed main fuse or meter, phone the DNO and tell them what you have found and they will come and re seal them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for your time answering this, I really appreciate it. Hopefully all will go well now.

I'M STILL waiting for a call back from EDF about fitting an isolator despite their assurance they would call today - NOTHING! I can see that fairy coming real soon!

Personally I do not like the tape/masking tape method...always seems to fall off at the most inappropriate time. I mark the cores with a sharpie pen, just something simple like I mark on LNE for both legs of one ring , II for next and so on. As I am belt and braces I also mark it in 2 places in case one gets 'cut off' by mistake. Everyone will have their own favourite method though................ :coat

Personally I do not like the tape/masking tape method...always seems to fall off at the most inappropriate time. I mark the cores with a sharpie pen, just something simple like I mark on LNE for both legs of one ring , II for next and so on. As I am belt and braces I also mark it in 2 places in case one gets 'cut off' by mistake. Everyone will have their own favourite method though................ :coat
Simlarly I usually use a pair of snips to nick the insulation I,II,III etc, but the amount of times I've got carried away and made the cable off then realised I'd not checked which it was... doh!

At least you mark the ring. I put white tape around one leg as my chosen method, but so many rings left unmarked and the time I've wasted testing rings to find out I've connected the wrong legs together. The worst is the CPC wound together throughout the CU.

Latest posts