Class 1 Light Fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a bit of a problem with a builder today, i refused to install class 1 light fittings as the lighting circuit did not have a cpc.  The builder was complaining to the customer that because the circuit had RCD protection, i should have installed them.  I have not spoken to the builder or the customer yet.  I am there tommorrow and want to give the builder a printed document saying that he is wrong, as i dont want to get into a confrontation with him.  I have quite a few docs printed up for customers for example, that i cannot do any work if no bonding in place etc;  But i have nothing on this, i am going to pull out the regs book tonight.  Any reg numbers or information i can hand over to him would be appreciated.

Cheers

Thank you Andy, Cheers Slips that is exactly what i was going to do, but this means that the builder cannot get on with his work.  Which is why he was complaining to the customer on the telephone.  I need to get permission from the customer to do this, as i will need to take up the upstairs flooring.

problem with taking it from another circuit is if that circuit is disconnected for any reason, then the earth will be too. iirc, its also again regs.

either way, if you must take it from another circit, make sure its noted at the point you take it from, and at the board

Cheers for replies, andy i will be taking the cpc from the same circuit, the earth was lost after 2 points.  The flooring upstairs is weyroc which is a complete pain, so i wanted to speak to the customer to let her know what is involved.  The builder said, that i was being awkward considering the circuit was rcd protected. 

well you have the regs there, dont back down to the builder. either install an earth or change to class 2 fitting

what abou the other lights on the circuit? are they class 1?

Cheers for replies, andy i will be taking the cpc from the same circuit, the earth was lost after 2 points.Earth  The flooring upstairs is weyroc which is a complete pain, so i wanted to speak to the customer to let her know what is involved.  The builder said, that i was being awkward considering the circuit was rcd protected. 
Earth lost, or not there due to a section of cable with no CPC?

If it's "lost" as in a fault, that would concern me and I would want to fix the fault. If the CPC has been "lost" who knows what state the cable is in.

Cheers Andy, the builder is a complete idiot, yes there is more class 1 light fittings but they are earthed.  I have came across 3 live light fittings in the past 2 years, one of them had the cpc of the light fitting connected to the live loop.

Latest posts