Clipping to hard cement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had a few jobs lately where cables were to be clipped direct to external brick, and some of them, the cement has been like steel and nails just bend. and this is even with tower clips! any tips? for some, i ended up with a 5.5 hole with a red plug, and changed the nail for a clout nail... surely there is an easier way

4.5mm hole, yellow plug, use normal nail in clip. Works most of the time for me.

If you can afford it you could use the spitt nail gun it has attachements for electrical fasteners.

Me? i use a 5.5 and red plugs the towers nails will hold without needing to use clout nails.

i dont need to go get a nail gun for the odd cable clip! i already have more than enough tools in the van!

problems with the red/yellow plugs is nail just fitted in the gap with plenty room to spare so clout nail was used

I use 5.5mm dill and 6mm dowelling, I'm too mean to buy them ready cut, cheaper to buy 2.4m lenths and chop up with cable croppers, works a dream, but slower than straight clipping obviously.

Riggy

Can you not use screw fixings? I use an SDS cordless and a cordless driver too so its not a major issue for me but that would get annoying if you had a long run.

Long dowel of hardwood as Riggy said is probably best. You could use a chisel to cut it off once its in if its too long too.

The answer is Pin Plugs, small plugs designed to take the nail of the clips - I get them from my local wholesaler. Not sure where you would get them on internet.

Quality Electrical Distributors Ltd

(01752) 265227

Latest posts