Coding For Low Insulation Resistance And Oven/immersions On Ring Eicr

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillpete

Reaction score
I know everyone has different opinions as to codings and arguments often ensue.

However 

I have carried out an EICR which has uncovered a list of C3's as long as your arm 

But there are a few that I am unsure of how to grade.

The oven and immersion are both wired from the same ring

(the immersion is wired in brown and blue)

A standard wall light is mounted just on the edge of zone 2 in the bathroom

There is a low insulation resistance reading (0.42M ohm) on one socket circuit (I have unplugged all surge plugs and there are no rcd sockets that I can find)

Unearthered metal fittings (cabling is earthed but not connected to fittings)

Bonding is ok and one 30ma RCD covers whole board

Any views?

However 

I have carried out an EICR which has uncovered a list of C3's as long as your arm 

The oven and immersion are both wired from the same ring  ratings?

A standard wall light is mounted just on the edge of zone 2 in the bathroom outside or inside edge?

There is a low insulation resistance reading (0.42M ohm) on one socket circuit (I have unplugged all surge plugs and there are no rcd sockets that I can find)  further investigation?

Unearthered metal fittings (cabling is earthed but not connected to fittings)  basic stuff really if you do testing

Bonding is ok and one 30ma RCD covers whole board  what version of regs was it wired to?

Any views?

my red

The oven is rated at 2600-2800w and I haven't checked but I would assume 3000w for immersion

The base of the light fitting is around 700mm from the edge of the bath and the actual lamp holder is around 550mm 

This is the first EICR I have completed (I have 2391 but don't particularly enjoy PIRs and as I have plenty of installation work so I don't chase inspecting) I used to do PIR's but haven't been involved with them for a few years.

The property was extended around 30 years ago, so I would say 15th however there has been upgrades to bonding earth rod (16mm cable) and a front loaded 30ma RCD added so there has been work done since 

I'm not doing your inspection for you for free,

Ive gave you food for thought,

and all you need to do is look up the regs to see if it complied at the time of fitting or not,

oh, and if it is TT then some other stuff applies too, all in the relevant regs of the time of install I should imagine.

With all due respect Lillpete, should you be carrying out inspection and testing? 

I'd pass the work on to someone who knows what they are doing mate.  By posting basic stuff on here sets alarm bells off.  The best electricians are the ones who know their limitations and you have reached yours.  With the best will in the world, I doubt if anyone here will have the time to teach you what you need to know and you'd be best off getting back into college and take the 2395 just to get you back up to speed.  Having the 2391 is one thing, retaining the knowledge and skills required is quite another matter.  And, before you ask, yes, although I hold the 2391 and have taken and passed the 2394 and 95 just to stay sharp.

Failing that, I'm starting a consulting, on-site refresher training service for people with 2391/95.  But that will cost ; -)

Rob

Its not all about having 2395 this and 2391 that, its about understanding and experience which takes years.

In an ideal world it would be great if newly qualified electricians could test and inspect alongside an experienced electrician who has come across most of the issues, but that will never happen because cost will not allow it.

Knowing on paper what to do never seems the same in the real world.

With all due respect Lillpete, should you be carrying out inspection and testing? 

I'd pass the work on to someone who knows what they are doing mate.  By posting basic stuff on here sets alarm bells off.  The best electricians are the ones who know their limitations and you have reached yours.  With the best will in the world, I doubt if anyone here will have the time to teach you what you need to know and you'd be best off getting back into college and take the 2395 just to get you back up to speed.  Having the 2391 is one thing, retaining the knowledge and skills required is quite another matter.  And, before you ask, yes, although I hold the 2391 and have taken and passed the 2394 and 95 just to stay sharp.

Failing that, I'm starting a consulting, on-site refresher training service for people with 2391/95.  But that will cost ; -)

Rob.

In this case i think these comments are unfair. There's a good few points raised in the inspection many would have missed.

My views on this, but ley you decide the codes

Oven & imm,  comment only

Bathroom light, its either in or out the zone, simple. Dependent on the fitting and mounting height i have sometimes made  comments to a lights suitability for the environment on reports to cover ones backside.

Low IR, Needs further investigation, outside the realms of the report.

CPC not connected, if its not been connected then its not correct. (make sure they are not double insulated)

1 Rcd, comment only.

I always list  as No 1 (when applicable) Installation carried out to earlier version of the regulations

Unfair?

The chap does not know what he is doing!  He has said that himself.  Get a refresher course and read CN3 or the BPG for help with codes.  I for one would NOT have missed the points noted.

Having the 2391 is one thing, retaining the knowledge and skills required is quite another matter.  And, before you ask, yes, although I hold the 2391 and have taken and passed the 2394 and 95 just to stay sharp.
Having or not having sat any particular course does not make you a good or bad electrician so your post is complete nonsense.

The OP may or may not be a bad electrician, but this is not down to having or not having passed 2395.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurch, what are you talking.   Anyone who installs should be able to test. 

He plainly does not know what he is doing so the best thing is to take a refresher course, at least read GN3.  If you cannot see this then there are two of you in the class already mate. 

Lurch, what are you talking.   Anyone who installs should be able to test.
I never said anything to the contrary.

He plainly does not know what he is doing so the best thing is to take a refresher course, at least read GN3.  If you cannot see this then there are two of you in the class already mate.
It is obviously you who is the dangerous one as you do not seem to be able to read and comprehend basic English. I at no point said the OP knew what he was doing.

And I am not your "mate".

The word 'mate' just slipped out.  It will be spat out next time around 'Sunshine'

You said that my post was complete nonsense?

I think I had it right to start with.  The OP has very little idea of what he is doing.  No more to say is there.  I suggested that a read of GN3 and perhaps a refresher course to sharpen him up was a good plan.  If you don't think so then fine. 

OK play nicely now.

when i first started I spent lots of time on forums asking questions that other my consider basic - better that than get it wrong. Steps approach is best, point in right direction so they learn, and if OP posts what they think is right correct, or not as necessary. That way we bring the standards up, rather than scare people off Zimmy.

Have it your way chaps.  The poor bloke is out of his depth here and a few lines on a forum by people who may not know much more than he is not going to help.  He needs to take a deep breath and re-group. 

As for the unsolicited attack from 'Lurch'?  That says it all binky

Lillpete, wear insulated gloves.

this topic is now under moderation, Lurch, that last post is completely unwarranted and not the sort of behaviour we appreciate on this forum. Zimmy, kindly don't rise to the bait.

Well that had got people excited!!

I know perfectly well how to test and inspect thank you guys, I can even fault find when the need arises.

All I was querying is whether people consider the risk of an overloaded circuit a C3 which is likely to be ignored or a C2. And the same with the other items, I was after opinions that is all.

However

The oven and immersion are both wired from the same ring

A standard wall light is mounted just on the edge of zone 2 in the bathroom

There is a low insulation resistance reading (0.42M ohm) on one socket circuit (I have unplugged all surge plugs and there are no rcd sockets that I can find)

Unearthered metal fittings (cabling is earthed but not connected to fittings)

Bonding is ok and one 30ma RCD covers whole board

Any views?
You said it ;)