Coding For Low Insulation Resistance And Oven/immersions On Ring Eicr

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the Oven and Immersion, both being over 2KW should each be on their own circuit, and neither should be "on the ring"  If I could be bothered to open my new yellow book there would be a reg number to quote.

Bathroom light, it is either in or out of the zones. Measure again to be sure which?

0.42 megohm shows there is an issue but no immediate "fault" so further investigation (which usually means the customer waits until the rcd trips)

For something like unearthed fittings, well if the CPC is there and tests okay I connect it there and then rather than even write it down.

Well that had got people excited!!

I know perfectly well how to test and inspect thank you guys, I can even fault find when the need arises.

All I was querying is whether people consider the risk of an overloaded circuit a C3 which is likely to be ignored or a C2. And the same with the other items, I was after opinions that is all.
If all wiring in CCT is protected by the correct fuses I.e. 32A for a ring in 2.5mm2 cable and any spurs are protected separately by 13A fuses at a fused spur for example then there shouldn't b any chance of overloading th CCT in my opinion.Maybe a mention but no coding for the oven/immersion on same CCT.

that refers to RCDs. Oven and Immersions come under some different recommendations for loads that are likely to run for long periods of time at a high level, which I can't look up as my big book is in the office.

If all wiring in CCT is protected by the correct fuses I.e. 32A for a ring in 2.5mm2 cable and any spurs are protected separately by 13A fuses at a fused spur for example then there shouldn't b any chance of overloading th CCT in my opinion.

Maybe a mention but no coding for the oven/immersion on same CCT.
If too many things are connected to the same circuit such that the rating of the ocpd is exceeded, there is an overload of the circuit. Regardless of whether each item is individually fused. The amount of overload determines the time it takes for the ocpd to operate.Here is a handy reminder of this by our new bosses http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/overloading-electrical-sockets.asp

loading of circuits is about cct design, with the usual diversity allownaces. The main thrust of what we do is ensure a cct is correctly protected so that if someone should overload it, it doesn't catch fire.