College Based Apprenticship ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the way of the world these days I ask?

My neighbour's lad left school last year ,  is on an electrician's  course at the local college .  He doesn't have a job within the trade & seems to be doing theory & practical there ,  no idea what the course is called TBH . 

He,s a good lad and I wish him well ....just wondering if this the normal method of learing the trade these days ?  

Its obviously not a 5WW jobby as he,s been there a year now .    But as we all know , theres a massive gulf between fitting some PVC conduit around a practice booth  &  working in the real world. 

Just asking .

lots of it about, I quite often get people on a course looking for work experience, Can be useful means of recruiting without having to pay apprentice fees

He's probably doing the same one as I did, the City & Guilds 2365. Trouble is that only gives him a technical certificate, he needs to do an NVQ as well to be "properly qualified" and that can only be done at work. But hopefully getting a year's experience at college will help him to get an apprenticeship.

I ended up doing this sort of thing 12 years ago but no practical involved

After a year I got a apprenticeship and started it again I was heads up on the theory side anyways.

Get letters all the time from students doing this type of thing!