Connecting a Solar Inverter to CU query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireplex

Reaction score
Hello,

Hope someone knowledgeable can assist :)

I have a garden studio connected to my house CU via an 20A RCBO, my house CU is all RCBOs.

In the garden studio I have another CU which has a single RCD and a couple of MCBs for light and sockets.

I want to place Solar panels on the studio roof and have a grid tied inverter connected via the studio CU - would it be OK to have the studio CU changed to a split load with 2 RCDs, and one RCD with it's MCB dedicated to the inverter - would that be a safe install with regards to not using a shared RCD (just wondered whether the RCBO in my house CU affects anything) ?

Obviously I will employ an electrician to do the work.

Thanks!

I'm going to be installing panels, inverter, isolators etc., final inverter connection with electrician.

Just need confirmation on inverter connection as per my OP.

Well to be honest, I am not fully confident of some sparks knowledge, for example a lot of Solar installs have been done with the inverter on a shared RCD.

So I wondered whether someone qualified on here could answer so I can verify when I find a spark, would give me confidence,