Consumer unit change.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams13

Reaction score
Hi

I am in the process of changing my first cu. The old system was two fuseboards one of which had 4 1.5mm radial circuits going to individual sockets around the bungalow. I would assume that at some stage they were heaters and converted to sockets.

I was thinking I should put these on 16a mcbs instead of 20a

What are your thoughts.

Sounds like they were originally storage heater circuits.

Max 16 Amp MCB for 1.5mm dependent on other install method

Are you sure they are 1.5?

It sounds like what used to be an economy 7 fuse box to feed storage heaters, that once the heaters had gone, were converted to single sockets. They are normally wired in 2.5mm as the larger ones consume 3KW.

Definitely no more than 16A if it really is 1.5mm cable

Hi I am in the process of changing my first cu. The old system was two fuseboards one of which had 4 1.5mm radial circuits going to individual sockets around the bungalow. I would assume that at some stage they were heaters and converted to sockets.

I was thinking I should put these on 16a mcbs instead of 20a

What are your thoughts.
First second third fourth or whatever number of CU's is irrelevant..

the question you are asking is...

HOW MUCH CURRENT CAN A 1.5mm CABLE CARRY...

when I did college we were taught about the Current Carrying Capacity tables in Appendix 4....

Try page 340 of the green book....

Why do people capable of changing a CU "allegedly" have trouble figuring out what the max size protective device that can be put onto a cable with a certain size CSA?????? headbang

If you have the wrong type of installation method you may not even be able to use a 16A on a 1.5mm!!

Clipped direct you will be good for 16+

But I would never stick a 20A on a 1.5mm

{is it just me or are the basics getting to be too complicated for people nowadays?}

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:14 ----------

I have seen old storage heater circuits wired in 1.5mm on numerous occasions!

I agree with you and did look at the table. my question was do you agree with me using a 16a instead of a 20a and it seems you do so thanks.

to be honest I want re assurance with the way I am thinking.

First second third fourth or whatever number of CU's is irrelevant..the question you are asking is...

HOW MUCH CURRENT CAN A 1.5mm CABLE CARRY...

when I did college we were taught about the Current Carrying Capacity tables in Appendix 4....

Try page 340 of the green book....

Why do people capable of changing a CU "allegedly" have trouble figuring out what the max size protective device that can be put onto a cable with a certain size CSA?????? headbang

If you have the wrong type of installation method you may not even be able to use a 16A on a 1.5mm!!

Clipped direct you will be good for 16+

But I would never stick a 20A on a 1.5mm

{is it just me or are the basics getting to be too complicated for people nowadays?}

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:14 ----------

I have seen old storage heater circuits wired in 1.5mm on numerous occasions!
---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:34 ----------

Thanks

That would explain why it looked like 2.5mm

Would the Ring not of been wired with the same stuff though?

Sounds like old 2.5 with 1mm earthSounds like a 16A mcb serving each socket to me

I would be inclined to put them on 10A breakers and explain to the customer to not use heavy loaded appliances on those specific sockets.

Unless you know exactly how those wires have been run.

+1 Great call Ash

Sounds of an age that could do with some rewiring to me, how about EICR 1st....

right,

Im getting so totally ****ed off with all these DIY stupid ****in questions being asked.

are you even competent enough to be changing a consumer unit if you cant identify the cable you are protecting?

answer,= NO

in case you are to stoopid to realise that yourself,

are you registered with a scheme to be able to certify this work?

if so could you tell mke who with and your registration number please so I can advise you more accurately.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:52 ----------

right,

Im getting so totally ****ed off with all these DIY stupid ****in questions being asked.

are you even competent enough to be changing a consumer unit if you cant identify the cable you are protecting?

answer,= NO

if so could you tell me who with and your registration number please so I can advise you more accurately.

Thanks for you input.

right,Im getting so totally ****ed off with all these DIY stupid ****in questions being asked.

answer,= NO

if so could you tell mke who with and your registration number please so I can advise you more accurately.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:52 ----------

right,

answer,= NO

if so could you tell me who with and your registration number please so I can advise you more accurately.

Steps does have a point. Are you aware that a CU change is notifiable work? Are you registered with NIC, Napit or another scam provider? How do you intend notifying said works. That is just one point he has picked up on.

Steps does have a point. Are you aware that a CU change is notifiable work? Are you registered with NIC, Napit or another scam provider? How do you intend notifying said works. That is just one point he has picked up on.
Yes I know its notifiable. No not registered yet. Need a job for them to see. Builing notice was put in last week.

So in theory, you are not complying with the regs. It wouldn't stand up in court if you said that you intended to register but not got around to it yet. I wouldn't mind betting you do loads of this - little bit of cash work here and there eh?

How in theory?

Genyuine first job and no would not do it this way it is expensive and time consuming. Had to give 48hrs notice and pay a fortune. However I dont mind as its a one off to enable me to join a scheme. Thought I would do it right and not just do the job, then join scheme, then notify which a lot of people do.

So in theory, you are not complying with the regs. It wouldn't stand up in court if you said that you intended to register but not got around to it yet. I wouldn't mind betting you do loads of this - little bit of cash work here and there eh?

No problem. trust me I can see why people dont. They dont make this part p thing sensible do they.

Ok, apologies. Didn't realise you had paid to notify through your LABC.