Convince me not to spend too much money

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams13

Reaction score
I am just about to purchase my first MFT and really like using Flukes compared to Meggers.

I am really tempted to get the 1654b limited edition from Megger Mark.

My justification to myself is its got all i could need and a bit futre proof.

The sensible side of me is telling me to get a 1651 or 1652.

Any thoughts?

Megger 1730 brilliant piece of kit I had a fluke 1653 before and much prefer the megger after getting used to it but theres pros and cons with both I suppose

Sidewinder,

I have already sent Meggermark a PM

Alpha what is the weight and speed like on the Megger? I found the Megger I used a bit slow and heavy compared to flukes.

Always Fluke, The new Meggers are a pile of crap and have many documented problems check the other forum

Last edited by a moderator:
How much?

I think you will strugle to stop me getting the 1654 from Meggermark.

Also any suggestions on other equipment to get me started.

Do you want to buy a 1652 with a years cal, little used and like new ?Has all the toys and case ROTFWL

Hi don't think it's too heavy the new leads are just like the fluke ones and has auto test features that take a zs as soon as it recognises a voltage. As for the problems that are around I had problems with the 2 flukes I had previously especially on cold mornings I had to put it near a radiator for twenty minutes there's a good video on YouTube about how to use it check it and see wot u think there's probably a fluke one too watch them both before u part with your cash

Just sent MFT 1730 back after 4 months. Gave me a refund no arguments.... Need I say anymore?

Just sent mine back too, refunded straight away ! Although I was told they had a firmware update for the high zs readings and megger recommend swapping the line and earth leads for testing rcbo's .

I'm thinking of getting the Megger 1730 but waited till the problems were ironed out, but it seems to be taking ages with very poor responses from Megger. I think I may go for the Fluke instead as megger have not bothered reply to my email about the reliability of the 1730. Any comments on what to buy would be welcome

I have the Megger 1730 not had any issues with it, purchased October 2011, but they did call me a couple of weeks back to say if I would like to send it to them they have several firmware upgrades they have made based on feedback from users, which they think will make it a better machine than it already is. Getting just like Microsoft - Updates !!!!

You pay to send it they pay to send it back, so not too bad, if you want latest firmware.

I think that is poor really they should pay all postage costs. Personally I think Fluke are a better meter but that is only my opinion. I have had a few issues with mine since I have had it but will probably get a Fluke next time. My biggest grievance with Megger is the CM500 I brought this cannot do an accurate low current loop test it cost me over

I thought the job of convincing you to spend less money was your wife's job!

They know what you can and can not afford, even before you get paid.

Latest posts