Reliable Installer in the North West

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to find an installer who is technically competent and who can communicate (ie explain in simple terms the technical decisions of his design/solution and how it should perform etc....)

Attached you'll see a very simplified diagram that shows my current installation and what I would like to do. I know certain info such as DNO will allow me up to 17kW.
Are there any good companies near Warrington that can be bothered to take up such a project?

I have already contacted a few in the past 12 months. I must say I am very disappointed so far for the following reasons:
  1. Appointments were made for a first site visit. Some did not even turn up
  2. Some companies turned up and had a good discussion, then never receive a quote despite being promised they'll send it
  3. Has one company trying to convince me that it is not possible to install panels on the wall
  4. Some companies could not understand the difference between optimisers and microinverters
  5. Some companies only work with a particular brand and it took some time to get them to admit they could not deliver (so yes I could have had a system already installed but the solution would have been far too far away from my requirement. In other words, they try to fulfil their needs and not mine)
  6. One company, only one, after studying the project honestly said they would not be able to deliver (their limitation was that they offered only one brand of panels (only 400Wp), never worked with microinverter and batteries could only handle 2.5kW of charge/discharge)

My wife told me to forget about the entire thing. I disagree there are big benefits to expand my production and storage of electricity. While I told some companies I was willing to compromise I need to understand what their solution would bring me. This is where in a couple of occasions they could not justify their choice. eg, per design the charge discharge was going to be limited to 4kW but then the batteries proposed were HV capable of 10.5kW. I asked why putting such expensive batteries if I will not only able to use them with a 4kW charge/discharge. The answer: we can installer sooner.... I did not get the logic.

Hopefully, there are still out there companies I have not yet found and at least one of them will be up to the job.

Thank you all for your time in reading this post and finger crossed...

1690531181619.png

PS: No, I will not DIY myself. I can't :(

Last edited:
Great learning job for someone wanting to go into solar. I would contact some local sparkies and see if they might be interested.
Thanks, Binky,
What do you mean? learning job for me or a learning job for the installer? I would like to avoid having to deal with an inexperienced installer.

I have not forgotten my promise (made about a year ago) to post photos of the installation. I did not expect after 12 months I would still be looking for the right company.

Thanks, Binky,
What do you mean? learning job for me or a learning job for the installer? I would like to avoid having to deal with an inexperienced installer.

I have not forgotten my promise (made about a year ago) to post photos of the installation. I did not expect after 12 months I would still be looking for the right company.
my honest view of what you want is that established installers won't bother, becuase there's so many straight forward installations to do that they can do 'there way', so can't be arsed or don't undertsand it, so that leaves keener self employed small businesses with an interest in going into solar who are already good tradesmen in there own right who perhaps want to get MCS. Your trouble will be finding one like that.

Or you could take your wife's advice and 'forget the entire thing'. That's what I did after looking into what was to be a simple and straightforward installation. The sums just didn't add up for me and if the Government was to de-couple gas and electric prices we will be awash with cheap green electricity anyway😇😇😁

Have you tried looking up installers on MCS website and RECC members?

off-topic : PS are there microinverters which work with 550W panels ? Enphase IQ7A indicate to 460W.

Hello @bladerunnerpv

Unfortunately, being MSC, RECC, EPVS or HIES registered is not a guarantee of competence and reliability. All the companies I contacted in the past 12 months were MSC and some HIES and I have described above the issues I had. As @binky said, it is likely they can't be arsed.

For your off topic. I don't want to get a warning from the admin so I'll respond directly

Hello @bladerunnerpv

Unfortunately, being MSC, RECC, EPVS or HIES registered is not a guarantee of competence and reliability. All the companies I contacted in the past 12 months were MSC and some HIES and I have described above the issues I had. As @binky said, it is likely they can't be arsed.
Hi Bob
Oh dear :-(
Sorry to hear of your woes, just trying to suggest a route to finding one...