Cooker Circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Noc

Reaction score
As part of a kitchen upgrade I now have a new double oven and hob to install. Total power consumption for the new oven is 4.2kW, and for the new hob 6kW. The oven manufacturer recommends a minimum 25A MCB  and the hob manufacturer states that a 25A MCB must be fitted.

Both units specify 2.5mm heat resistant cable, and the oven manufacturer states that the maximum length for that cable is 2 metres. Including free cable for allowing the oven to be removed from its cabinet (something whovever fitted the old oven didn't think to do!) the total cable run is around 5 metres. The hob cable length is less than 500mm.

The circuit currently uses a 32A MCB  wired with 6mm T&E.

I was thinking of fitting a 25A MCB, using heat resistant 2.5mm cable for the hob, and 4mm T&E for the oven due to the longer run, terminating with a heat resistant sleeve.

Does that sound OK? And according to the current regs is replacing a not like for like MCB in the CU notifiable work, and even if it isn't must it still be carried out by a fully qualified sparks? If so then I will happily pay someone to do the work. Thanks.

leave the 32A MCB and the 45A isolator in place. split the tails to oven and hob via a dual cooker connection unit ( Click do them). 4.0mm for the longer run is a good  idea to minimise volt drop, but 2.5mm should be OK also.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're good to go then. bear in mind that as the appliances are fixed loads, there's no requirement to reduce MCB size to allow for 2.5mm cooker tails. the 32A MCB will give fault protection. no need for overload protection. in fact, you probably need 32A OCPD to allow for when and iff everything kicks in simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator: