could anyone help me with electrical buzzing??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an update*

I now know that 3 of the 6 fuses were changed, so thats 3 new replaced fuses, and 3 of the old fuses that were in there originally. The ring main has not been changed,(does this need changing?) so is this mixing of fuses ok?

I have also tested the PSU from the computer round a friends house and there is no buzzing, yet when i plug it in here the problem still persists.

Welcome to the forum Frostman,

Could you just clarify why you had a electrician out in the first place? Did he/she give any explaintion of why the 3 fuses were replaced? Think it may shed some light on what may be going on with your home electric's.

Welcome to the forum Frostman, Could you just clarify why you had a electrician out in the first place? Did he/she give any explaintion of why the 3 fuses were replaced? Think it may shed some light on what may be going on with your home electric's.
hi there was no eletrician, the 3 fuses were took out and whilst on the floor they got damaged so a family member came round and replaced the fuses for me. there wasnt a problem in the first place, the fuses just got damaged thats all. cheers

Probably another daft question but why were the fuses removed, has any work been done to any electrical circuits?

what were they replaced with?
from what i gather,

3 porcelain 5 amp fuses were replaced with mini circuit breakers . the other 3 are the remaning porcelain fuses.

not really sure how this could have caused the problem

do you have a working fuse you could change the MCB with?

or even as a temporary measure, unplug everything except faulty items, and use lighting or immersion fuse on sockets to see if problem is still there?

electrical buzzing can be caused at the fuse board when the overcurrent protection is lower than the fault on the circuit.

However this buzzing can only be heard at the fuse board and not at the appliance.

We need to know far more in depth details before any constructive advise could be given.

Everything we say based on your posts is just pure speculation.

an update*I now know that 3 of the 6 fuses were changed, so thats 3 new replaced fuses, and 3 of the old fuses that were in there originally. The ring main has not been changed,(does this need changing?) so is this mixing of fuses ok?

I have also tested the PSU from the computer round a friends house and there is no buzzing, yet when i plug it in here the problem still persists.
Thank you, you've confirmed my earlier assumption.

The Godfather

electrical buzzing can be caused at the fuse board when the overcurrent protection is lower than the fault on the circuit.However this buzzing can only be heard at the fuse board and not at the appliance.

We need to know far more in depth details before any constructive advise could be given.

Everything we say based on your posts is just pure speculation.
Well I'm sorry to disagree, but we are talking about fuses, not MCB's.

And from my previous comments I do speak from experience.

The Godfather

Well I'm sorry to disagree, but we are talking about fuses, not MCB's.And from my previous comments I do speak from experience.

The Godfather
I will shadow the conversation and learn! :x

Last night at 7pm the noise stopped on both my computer and tv. There was no buzz at all, this morning around 7AM the buzzing is back on both the computer and tv. I am thinking this problem is to do with the mains supply(as you lads have suggested). I guess i could replace the ring main fuse with a mini circuit breaker?

what he said ^
they were taken out when adding an extractor fan in the bath room for the shower. The buzzing noise didnt occur till at least a month after this i would say.