Covid-19 Tips For Working From Home..??? !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah!    You mean the football  etc  ..yes those channels are based on that .  If you're a sports fan its not very fair  as you've already paid.

I notice that folk will complain  bitterly about the TV licence  fee   but never about the BT ,  Sky  & Virgin fees .      Anything to keep it commercials free. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is  Andy , its like paying your Council Tax  ,  you may nor set fire to your house but still have to pay towards the Fire Brigade .    I pay £98  towards Adult Social Care  although  I  have no relatives in social care .  

I'm reminded of when the Poll Tax came in   ...many people were incandescent with hatred but were probably those who  didn't pay local taxes.  

I had a disagreement with a good mate  who said  it created  double the money coming from his household  .   That was actually true but it was because  their three sons , all working  full time , still lived at home  ...  were suddenly  required to pay local taxes.    

I thought it was a more fair system  ,  three sons  benefit from  dustbins , street lights,  libraries ,  swimming baths , pothole filling , etc etc etc  but never before paid towards them . because they lived in their parent's house ...who were paying for them .   

Perhaps there should be an electronic block on receiving BBC  unless the licence is paid ... it must be possible , I can't view Virgin , BT, Sky etc  without  subscribing .           

Thing is  Andy , its like paying your Council Tax  ,  you may nor set fire to your house but still have to pay towards the Fire Brigade .    I pay £98  towards Adult Social Care  although  I  have no relatives in social care .  

I'm reminded of when the Poll Tax came in   ...many people were incandescent with hatred but were probably those who  didn't pay local taxes.  

I had a disagreement with a good mate  who said  it created  double the money coming from his household  .   That was actually true but it was because  their three sons , all working  full time , still lived at home  ...  were suddenly  required to pay local taxes.    

I thought it was a more fair system  ,  three sons  benefit from  dustbins , street lights,  libraries ,  swimming baths , pothole filling , etc etc etc  but never before paid towards them . because they lived in their parent's house ...who were paying for them .   

Perhaps there should be an electronic block on receiving BBC  unless the licence is paid ... it must be possible , I can't view Virgin , BT, Sky etc  without  subscribing .           

I've got my tin hat on ...... I think that a combination of council tax for the home AND the poll tax is the way forward ....... we've currently got 3 working adults in the house - that would be fairer IMHO

But  no politician has the b a l l s to implement this..........

When I bought my first house, I had a year or paying the old "rates" system.  As a single person then I looked forward to the poll tax as surely as a single person I would be better off.  WRONG the poll tax for one was more than the rates I paid.

Then when the poll tax was abolished and replaced with council tax I thought it would go back to how it was under rates.  WRONG the amount I paid, even with single occupancy discount went up.

I don't want them to replace Council tax, as I KNOW which way my bills will go. and they are the SINGLE largest household bill we have,  except for food (and I believe I get much better value for money from buying food)

On a different subject I was having a conversation today with a self employed tiler friend.  He is convinced that the SE WILL get SSP if they have to self isolate.  I am convinced we will not.

My biggest gripe is big corporations demanding a bail out, ie the trains and planes amoungst others. courgette em! These companies are keen on scrwing money out of the public in proper "free market capitalist"  ways, so by FMC rules if they have failed to prepare for a disaster and go bust, so be it, otherwise the public will get lumbered with another huge bail out bill as per the banks in 2008.

£94 per week if my memory is correct. And I bet its means tested.

I think I heard this being discussed on one of the Radio4  finance/money programs. the figure or £94 per week was mentioned and multi-page comprehensive application forms required to be completed to obtain this sum. 

Doc H. 

I think I heard this being discussed on one of the Radio4  finance/money programs. the figure or £94 per week was mentioned and multi-page comprehensive application forms required to be completed to obtain this sum. 

Doc H. 

Yes - last Saturday's edition of BBC Money Box - and the "short form" is a mere 22 pages IMMSMC

Anyone elses phones starting to go quiet?

I have about 2 weeks work booked but very little calls now.  Just one call so far this week, a circuit tripping.

I get the feeling it is going to tail off quickly to the occasional fault to fix.  I suspect alterations and upgrades will tail off as people don't want strangers in their house unless absolutely necessary.

I talk a lot about retirement.  I have a "plan B" and it's possible to draw my main pension (due in 3 years) any time I want to (though at a reduced rate if drawn early)  If things get too bad, this may just trigger me to "retire" earlier than I had planned.

Anyone else making contingencies?

upgrades will tail off as people don't want strangers in their house unless absolutely necessary.
My builder mate opposite said that this morning ,   jobs cancelled ,  three for elderly people whose children asked him to defer the work , just in case .  

He reckoned the car plants are cutting down on production & shedding  staff.   There were many calls to local radio  today from SE  ,  guest houses ,   taxi driver  with a £800 /month mortgage  and  no calls this week   .  

Plus an 91 yr old lady who can't get  out ,  run out of food  & has no one .     Typical of this area  , Radio WM's phones blocked with offers ,    in 15 mins  she was sorted  .    Amongst all the gloom  & the greedy buggers stock piling  ...a nice story . 

Last edited by a moderator: