Dc Through Ac Mcb's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beggers belief and somewhat insulting. You could get a jail term here if you call yourself an engineer and don't have the appropriate quals and experience/registration.
Seriously??? Madness. engineer

ɛndʒɪˈnɪə/

noun

a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.

synonyms: designer, planner, builder, architect, producer, fabricator, developer, creator; More

a person who controls an engine, especially on an aircraft or ship.

synonyms: engineering officer, controller, handler, driver; More

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously??? Madness.

engineer

ɛndʒɪˈnɪə/

noun

a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.

synonyms: designer, planner, builder, architect, producer, fabricator, developer, creator; More

a person who controls an engine, especially on an aircraft or ship.

synonyms: engineering officer, controller, handler, driver; More
Where did you get your definition...the urban ******* dictionary maybe? Someone who builds things is a builder, someone who designs them is a designer and someone who fabricates them is a fabricater. Someone who has a Degree in an Engineering discipline and at least 4 years of documented experience is an Engineer and TBH I really don't see a ******* gray area. I suppose it's okay to call yourself a Doctor in the UK if the mood takes you.

Hey I ain't saying it is right. It is in the Oxford English Dictionary that that is the meaning of the word 'engineer'. Language evolves. What has happened is that the education has not.

It's not only SA, the USA, Canada, Italy, Germany are the same.

It's the language that has not kept up, not the qualifications.

It really grates on me that I can practice as an Engineer, and call myself an Engineer, legally anywhere in the World, yet in the UK, I am branded the same as some twat who has no qualifications what so ever.

Why should this be correct in a global economy?

The word engineer is not important on it's own. It is what goes before it that makes it mean something. Electrical engineer. Mechanical engineer. Computer engineer. Washing machine engineer.

I know electrical engineers that get upset when they are referred to as any other type of engineer.

Make 'em right aswell.

In my mind you are not an 'engineer' unless you have letters.

its ***** boiler engineers that do me,

what, so last week you were a plumber, now you have connected a gas pipe up you are suddenly an engineer?  WTF   :C

a young gasman at work hates me for pointing this out to him, usually right after he has 'corrected' someone for calling him a plumber and he claims to be a 'gas and heating engineer'   ,,,,,,,,,,,,   ***** knob that he is,,,,,   : headbang

Letters, what letters does a "Washing Machine Engineer" actually have then?

T.W.A.T?

I have a qualification to the NQF level 7, the next step for me is a PhD if I continue my studies, to a higher level.

I started off as a craft apprentice doing C&G in the 80's.

I have lots of letters that I am entitled to use, related to my qualifications and professional memberships.

What pisses me off I have studied long and hard to get the qualifications I have yet anyone, can claim to be able to do the same job.

Why is that right?

It's just the same as anyone can buy a screwdriver and call themselves an Electrician, nothing wrong with that either then.

Letters, what letters does a "Washing Machine Engineer" actually have then?

T.W.A.T?

I have a qualification to the NQF level 7, the next step for me is a PhD if I continue my studies, to a higher level.

I started off as a craft apprentice doing C&G in the 80's.

I have lots of letters that I am entitled to use, related to my qualifications and professional memberships.

What pisses me off I have studied long and hard to get the qualifications I have yet anyone, can claim to be able to do the same job.

Why is that right?

It's just the same as anyone can buy a screwdriver and call themselves an Electrician, nothing wrong with that either then.
It's not right. It's silly. I don't think people realise the qualifications a real engineer have and how much time and effort was put in to achieve that.

Engineers design from first principles, technicians work from spec sheets, plumbers and most electricians work to 'regulations'. I do think electricians design rather more than other trades, not quite from first principles, but every gas plumber I've met phone the helpline to spec boiler flue sizes and lengths, more installers than designers....

I trained as a Tech Eng, so not quite full on engineer, but not far off

isnt there some sort of legacy as to why surgeons are called consultants,

something along the lines of they didnt actually need any qualifications and therefore couldnt call themselves doctors.  ?

just,,,,,,,,  wondering

I though ac circuit breakers relied on the zero crossing to extinguish an arc.

the same device on dc, may not function correctly.

Or am I talking carp?
Not carp at all. We had a large 240-0-240V DC system the resident genius idiot (AKA design engineer) decided the old Artic boards were outdated. Nice shiny new MCB boards were ordered and I refused point blank to fit them and got a written warning for my trouble. Someone else got roped in.

A fault on a drum roller magnet resulted in a big hole in one of the shiny new MCB boards. EE red spot BS88 board were soon on order, written warning rescinded and said idiot invited to a management a**e kicking party.

OK this was 900V DC but shows the damage it can do.

Img_0267_zps83ed4bae.jpg

Img_0266_zpsc2a7ed03.jpg

isnt there some sort of legacy as to why surgeons are called consultants,

something along the lines of they didnt actually need any qualifications and therefore couldnt call themselves doctors.  ?

just,,,,,,,,  wondering
minor surgery developed out of the barber shops as I understand it....