Dealing with manufacturers own people.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advice and opinions needed please.

Customer purchased an oven from a leading manufacturer.

Unit has plug in lead for the electrical connection. The lead in 1.0m long with a moulded 13a plug on the end.

The flex will not reach the 13a socket which is installed in the cupboard below the oven.

According to the manufacturers engineer this flex cannot be extended due to new rules that have just come out, therefore the socket needs to be moved to behind the oven.

I've done a Google search and can't find any trace of such a new rule. Am I dealing with a jobsworth as he also threw the "cut the plug off and the warranty will be void" statement at me.

Now I know that occasionally manufacturers put that in their terms but I haven't seen it for a while and couldn't see it in the instruction boom that came with the unit.

Anyone else had this or heard of it ?

I'm thinking just cut the plug off and extend the flex with a joint box and heatproof flex.

Thoughts ???

Advice and opinions needed please.

Customer purchased an oven from a leading manufacturer.

Unit has plug in lead for the electrical connection. The lead in 1.0m long with a moulded 13a plug on the end.

The flex will not reach the 13a socket which is installed in the cupboard below the oven.

According to the manufacturers engineer customer service bod this flex cannot be extended due to new rules that have just come out, therefore the socket needs to be moved to behind the oven.

I've done a Google search and can't find any trace of such a new rule. Am I dealing with a jobsworth as he also threw the "cut the plug off and the warranty will be void" statement at me.

Now I know that occasionally manufacturers put that in their terms but I haven't seen it for a while and couldn't see it in the instruction boom that came with the unit.

Anyone else had this or heard of it ?

I'm thinking just cut the plug off and extend the flex with a joint box and heatproof flex.

Thoughts ???
I often doubt the the titles some manufacturers give their customer service read from a screen people

A 1m flex doesn't give much excess when you are trying to fit these appliances into 600mm deep kitchen units so the manufacturer clearly needs to address this penny pinching saving they are trying to make and then throwing in the cut the plug off warranty void spiel really annoys me when they all they need is a physical plug disconnection to ensure their engineers can have safe isolation method to work on the appliance there plenty of alternative plug and socket arrangements that maybe more suitable

Yes that's an option. I'm trying to see if you can buy the plugs so I could make up a new lead. Just ridiculous that we have to do it.

When they come with no lead I put 2m of flex on so you can pull it out and put it on a stand with plenty of room. Just as UNG said penny pinching manufacturers.