Decent headphones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wise ones. I need a pair of decent headphones mainly to use with my laptop, but may use them on my ipod if I can find it.

Want them mainly to listen to music.

Have no need for noise reducing ones. Never really got on with 'in ear' so want 'around ear' type.

Was looking at the Bose stuff but unsure if all the money is just paying for a name. How good are

About 9 months ago I hankered after some decent headphones after the cord broke on my existing pair.

Anyway, I bought a set of Panasonic RP-WF950 cordless 'phones. I am well chuffed with them. Now I can listen to my vinyl rock whilst the missus watches telly and can listen to the radio all over the house and garden.

The sound quality is very good and not so 'bassy' that they give you a headache. I do like good sound - I have a Rega turntable (I still buy vinyl), Marantz KI Signature CD player (which gets very little use), Audiolab amp (now Tag Heuer) and B&W speakers.

Don't know if you can buy the same 950s anymore but Argos do the 960s:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9004203/Trail/searchtext%3ECORDLESS+HEADPHONES.htm.

Oh wise ones. I need a pair of decent headphones mainly to use with my laptop, but may use them on my ipod if I can find it.Want them mainly to listen to music.

Have no need for noise reducing ones. Never really got on with 'in ear' so want 'around ear' type.

Was looking at the Bose stuff but unsure if all the money is just paying for a name. How good are

I have a pair of Sony headphones which actually fold flat & go in a case. They are great for use with my i-pod when outdoors or when using trains & planes. (& boats if you remember the song)

About 9 months ago I hankered after some decent headphones after the cord broke on my existing pair.Anyway, I bought a set of Panasonic RP-WF950 cordless 'phones. I am well chuffed with them. Now I can listen to my vinyl rock whilst the missus watches telly and can listen to the radio all over the house and garden.

The sound quality is very good and not so 'bassy' that they give you a headache. I do like good sound - I have a Rega turntable (I still buy vinyl), Marantz KI Signature CD player (which gets very little use), Audiolab amp (now Tag Heuer) and B&W speakers.

Don't know if you can buy the same 950s anymore but Argos do the 960s:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9004203/Trail/searchtext%3ECORDLESS+HEADPHONES.htm.
Nice one fella :) from another vinylophile

Yes, Specs makes a valid point about comfort. I find the Panas to be very good in this department.

Of course, some of what you pay for them is going towards the cordless feature. My only critisism of them would be that they creak ever so slightly if you move them around on your head. This is fairly minor though.

Just been listening to some Led Zep, off the 4 disc set of Mothership.....rock on!!

Some food for thought - thanks guys.

I don't really need wireless, as when using my laptop my eyesight isn't that good!

SL - good idea about going to try some in an electrical shop, the problem I have is where I live it's about an hour away and I only have one day off for the rest of this month! Not just a quick pop in.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

I have had some

I think "decent" headphones for you Apache would be those that are comfortable rather than high quality, simply because the high end headsets will only reproduce what your soundcard can. I see many people talking about how they paid

I think "decent" headphones for you Apache would be those that are comfortable rather than high quality, simply because the high end headsets will only reproduce what your soundcard can. I see many people talking about how they paid

It's not that your deaf, just that you don't have the full range of hearing you once had.

When you think of the kids of today, with either there own sound equipment blasting out into their ear phones, or going to disco/conserts that are blasting out sounds at db's far above comfort levels... It sure aint gonna do your future hearing much good. In fact i've been told it's one of the major reasons for premeture hearing losses...

But as i remember, ....all that headbanging was bloody great at the time ...hahaha!!!

I`d back Danny - having also done sound engineering. Most of the guys went for Sennheiser - but what I will say is this:

Unless you are an audiophile with a damn good ear for sound; the main criteria is comfort, from your perspective. You want a shop where you can spend some time, wandering about, wearing the various designs, to see what is comfortable. Give them a good 20-30 mins each - and choose from there. Brand will be much less important to you, IMO.

KME

Without doubt it's Sennheiser's all the way considered after some 40 years as still the reference brand

As to comfort, well we all have differing head shapes some on the site clearly have bigger heads than others ; \ so I'd always recommend trying for comfort before buying