Flickering downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunner

Reaction score
HI
never seen this issue in 35years in the trade and wondered if anybody has any idears.
The property is a new build and the installation fitted by myself. We have 26 Aurora cx7 downlights on 3 seperate circuits and controlled by various switching configurations. All dimmer switches are Varilight V- pro modules and the consumer unit is the new Click Elusian split load board with SPD.
The lights flickers very randomly sometimes not for a day or 2. I have checked everthing. No loose connections. Aurora have sent new fittings which i have fitted. I've changed the dimmer modules but the problem is still there. Has anyone got any idear what this could be or has any body seen this before? I've now hit a wall as to what to do next.
Thanks

What happens if you temporarily change all of the dimmers to an on/off switch?
The other thing is, did you set up each dimmer switch as those dimmers are programmable

What happens if you temporarily change all of the dimmers to an on/off switch?
The other thing is, did you set up each dimmer switch as those dimmers are programmable
This is also happening with lights not on dimmers and i am aware of the programmable features.

What do mean induced voltage?
Your light fitting supply cables running beside other cables which could be for example 2 way switch pass cables (strappers), cooker supply or socket cables.
It does not take much in the way of induced voltage to cause an led lamp to flicker, it is sorted by adding a snubber into the led circuit.

This cured the flickering LED downlights in a kitchen installation due to induced voltage from the two way switch strappers.

Downlight.jpeg

HI
never seen this issue in 35years in the trade and wondered if anybody has any idears.
The property is a new build and the installation fitted by myself. We have 26 Aurora cx7 downlights on 3 seperate circuits and controlled by various switching configurations. All dimmer switches are Varilight V- pro modules and the consumer unit is the new Click Elusian split load board with SPD.
The lights flickers very randomly sometimes not for a day or 2. I have checked everthing. No loose connections. Aurora have sent new fittings which i have fitted. I've changed the dimmer modules but the problem is still there. Has anyone got any idear what this could be or has any body seen this before? I've now hit a wall as to what to do next.
Thanks
Just to be clear: are the lights switched on and flickering off, or switched off and flickering on? If the first then suspect a loose connection or supply problem. If the latter then suspect stray pickup by capacitive coupling and try an R-C snubber across the lights.

Your light fitting supply cables running beside other cables which could be for example 2 way switch pass cables (strappers), cooker supply or socket cables.
It does not take much in the way of induced voltage to cause an led lamp to flicker, it is sorted by adding a snubber into the led circuit.
To be clear the flickering occurs when the lights are on. Will a snubber work with this as everthing i read about snubbers is to solve flickering when lights are switched off.

Latest posts