Discussion Point Re New Build?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Venture!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had one today that might prompt a discussion. Was looking at a faulty double socket on a fairly new build house (switch had jammed) when I found a spur had been taken off the ring. Bit surprised to find on such a new install but in itself not an issue.

What was an issue though was the cable path taken. Householder had had a flame effect gas fire fitted as a purchase sweetener, and this particular fire needs a mains feed. Whoever had ran the cable had taken it diagonally across a stud wall, over and round the fireplace then diagonally down to a fused spur.

I advised owner to contact the developer, but turns out they no longer exist.

I suspect the home owner will ask me to sort the issue as they just want a safe home, and if so I will also do a full EICR.

Any of you guys met similar on new builds?

I was going to ask how you can tell the route of a cable behind a wall.

But nothing surprises me with builders, especially when it's a last minute change to the specification after it's all boarded and decorated and nobody wants to mess it up and re do it.

Chances are the rest of the house will be fine.  And in a dry lined wall the "risks" of a cable out of a safe zone are not quite as bad.

Also nobody except electricians knows about safe zones, so when the house owner comes to hang a picture, to make it look right they will measure it carefully to ensure the nail goes in exactly in line with the socket below .........

Popped the fused spur off and used a mirror to have a look. Cable ran off at an angle towards top of fireplace. (Blob and dab wall, not stud, my mistype). Same at double socket, cable runs off at an angle towards top of fireplace. Disconnect angled cable at double socket, feed to fire dead.

I was going to ask how you can tell the route of a cable behind a wall.

But nothing surprises me with builders, especially when it's a last minute change to the specification after it's all boarded and decorated and nobody wants to mess it up and re do it.

Chances are the rest of the house will be fine.  And in a dry lined wall the "risks" of a cable out of a safe zone are not quite as bad.

Also nobody except electricians knows about safe zones, so when the house owner comes to hang a picture, to make it look right they will measure it carefully to ensure the nail goes in exactly in line with the socket below .........
I went to a new build ,the garage separate to the house had  2.5 pvc cable buried with no protection