Domestic lighting circuit protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy old spark

Reaction score
Are the BS7671 retrospective on an EICR cert I ? for domestic lighting circuits

Last edited:
In what respect?
For example ,if lighting circuits met with all the requirements of the 17th Ed of BS 7671,were protected by MCBs and met the requirements of the disconnection at the time of installation to the 17th Ed,would that protection be sufficient when inspected or would RCD have to be installed ,to meet with the requirements of a test in accordance with a current NAPIT EICR cert Murdoch?

Just say what you see, they don't have additional RCD protection how you Code this is your decision.

So you mean by your answer that the regs are retrospective?
the regs are not retrospective, if you did a consumer unit change , would you rip out all the Red & Black Twin & earth?
but any alterations will need to comply with BS7671 2023, if you are doing an EICR then that also has to be carried out to BS7671 2023, it does not matter what edition was in force at the time of the original install, from the 1st to the 18th, you should do the EICR to the latest, most current standards, I don't really know why its hard to understand , we all should be working to the current standard,

the regs are not retrospective, if you did a consumer unit change , would you rip out all the Red & Black Twin & earth?
but any alterations will need to comply with BS7671 2023, if you are doing an EICR then that also has to be carried out to BS7671 20

23, it does not matter what edition was in force at the time of the original install, from the 1st to the 18th, you should do the EICR to the latest, most current standards, I don't really know why its hard to understand , we all should be working to the current standard,
It's not hard to understand poni,it's a question I was asked by a guy who was going to sell his house,it was tested by a NAPIT spark who said the lighting urgently needed to be RCD controlled and as such did not pass and that a code 3 meant urgent action !
I have been retired for a number of years now after being the qualified supervisor for the NICEIC for many years and wondered why a perfectly safe electrical installation had become unsafe with the stroke of a pen,hence my asking the question.

Are the BS7671 retrospective on an EICR cert I ? for domestic lighting circuits

If you are undertaking a periodic inspection and completing and EICR, Guidance Note 3, (along with a few other useful documents, e.g. Best practice guide 4.) should be reference you have access to, hard copy or electronic..
Best Practice Guide 4

And, in which case Guidance Note 3, Page 135, Paragraph 3.12 should answer your question.?

Additional considerations:-
The model EICR form on page 519 of BS7671 has a box that states the inspection and testing has been carried out in accordance with BS7671:2018 amended to.......................................... {fill in the amendment bit as appropriate.}

I am not aware of ANY industry recognised formal certification that provides options for you to quote / reference earlier editions of BS7671???

New work / Alteration work / Inspection & testing are ALL carried out with respect to the current edition/amendment of BS7671

All an EICR is giving is an evaluation if an installation is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for continued use.. Which may or may not mean that some parts complied with earlier editions but do not comply with current editions..