Domestic lighting circuit protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The codebreakers book is a useful guide.
For those who can't think for themselves, or understand BS7671 and apply it to the situation
But it is a guide it's not a definitive bible and part of EICRs is making that informed decision as the person on the job.
The problem is there are many who believe it is the definitive document that provides the informed decision and overides the limited experience and knowledge of the inspector carrying out the EICR
Too many people think there is a black or white answer to every problem !
IMO codebreakers has no place in the test and inspect sector and is just a substitute to cover up the poor training, experience and assessment that has become the acceptable norm.
How can you pigeon hole all aspects of an EICR and provide an exact answer to the problems, issues and reg departures that an inspector is presented with during an EICR and hope to be correct, yes it is good to err on the side of safety but it has to be tempered with what you are actually seeing on site and assess it accordingly

I agree these Guides don't necessarily help they are masking a problem the industry has throughout not just in EICRs, it is everywhere. If you cannot compile an EICR without the use of a Guide you should not be doing them.

On a slight tangent.
Anyone can plug a tester in and write down the results. The skill and experience required to interpret the results honestly is an entirely different matter
I don't believe enough time is actually spent during training these days understanding the capabilities and limitations of the various pieces of test equipment available and the selection of the correct test equipment for the job in hand

18 months ago I updated my MFT to a Metrel 3152 while it easy to understand the basics of what it will do some of the other functions did take some time to get to grips with to get the best out of the tester, there are bits that I'm still finding now as you press more buttons and get deeper into it

I always say you have to learn how to drive a meter and learn to understand what it is actually telling you it is all to easy now to have the green tick or red cross make the decision for you

Are you able to contact this guy to question his reasoning?
And did you get chance to browse the Best Practice Guide 4?
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/fpton1au/bpg4-a5-2022.pdf

As Page 24 suggests it is endorsed by Napit.. (along with other industry recognised bodies).

And.. Page 19 recommends that the "Absence of additional protection by RCD for AC final circuits supplying luminaires in domestic household premises" is a code "C3"

I cannot fathom how this could require urgent attention??
In my opinion, this bloke is a 100% Twat.... with minimal knowledge, competence, experience.. etc..
Contacted the spark who carried out the test,after having a talk with him re his EICR cert,he has agreed to change over the lighting ccts on to 2 spare rcd protected ways on the Wylex board at no cost,making everybody happy.
Thanks for the info.

Contacted the spark who carried out the test,after having a talk with him re his EICR cert,he has agreed to change over the lighting ccts on to 2 spare rcd protected ways on the Wylex board at no cost,making everybody happy.
Thanks for the info.
While you have a satisfactory conclusion depending on the CU RCD configuration and the spare ways it could possibly still be given a code by some inspectors

While you have a satisfactory conclusion depending on the CU RCD configuration and the spare ways it could possibly still be given a code

While you have a satisfactory conclusion depending on the CU RCD configuration and the spare ways it could possibly still be given a code by some inspectors
I think the best way to resolve the situation would be to try and source 2xrcbo and have the lighting ccts separate ,this would ensure lighting would not be affected by nuisance tripping of the rcd .,but the situation has been sorted by the guy selling the house and the elec UNG.