Domestic Power Supply question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Bradford

Reaction score
Hi I have a Guest House that has a 2 phase supply at the main fuse box, however only one is used. I need more power and want to make use of the other phase. Despite a year trying to get my Provider to sort this out possibly with a 3 phase meter they have failed to turn up on 3 occassions. Do I need a 3 phase meter or could I have an additional meter running independently? I'm worried about the 180 degree phase difference supplying different areas of my house because any cross-over in the wiring will have a PD causing fuses to trip. My other thought is a reversed wired transformer to synchronise both supplies. I welcome your thoughts on this Guys and welcome any advise

Thanks Andy,
I would rather a split phase 3 phase meter, but I have given up trying to get my provider to do it. Could you recommend someone/company that could do it for me. My Certs have expired

I don't understand your worries about the potential between phases. If you have two, or three phases in a domestic complex then each phase will normally serve different areas or floors, so there is no risk of contacting higher potentials. I live in a bungalow, and there is every chance there is 400 volts between my phase and next doors each side. Just the same in your case except it would be floors/ apartments.
Also is your two phase feed really 180 degrees, or is it two of the normally available three phases ? (Assuming you are in UK?)