Domestic wiring: is a power socket using power when "On"?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the question is more: why did I come to this forum at all?

The premise was genuine.

The question and references genuine.

This rather proves the Dunning-Kruger principle but more than that it shines a light, not a good light, that on-line personas who believe they can behave badly and abusively with impunity.

It is a given that were you to meet some of the "funnies" (read: fools)  in real life, they're professional and pleasant and kind. Go on-line and then all bets ore off. Which is a shame.

I experienced a number of obnoxious, abusive posts here, some who had nothing better than to call into question the OP / the reason for the post's intelligence and their suitability to procreate. Again, a shame.

As well you know, this would never happen face-to-face in real-life. I think we know that this is a sad reflection on some of the members here, and granted, I appreciate some think that it's hilarious and it was soooo entertaining, yet there were some professional men, who chose to answer the question. Thank you.

There is a very strong argument for spending more time with one's family and friends, walking the dog, riding your bike, reading (etc) and less time on the Internet, and whilst this is my first foray onto this site you can be doubly sure it is the last. Having experienced many other web sites, and rest assured, you're not alone in the silly behaviour of some of your members, and of course, Admin will do little if anything because the more you see this behaviour the more it becomes the norm.  When you do step back from this and think clearly, then this behaviour is clearly nor has it ever been not the norm. It never was but somehow, the internet has empowered this poor behaviour. Why do you think that is?

It's beyond midnight and no doubt many of the most recent posts have been fuelled by alcohol, I don't doubt that for a second, but in hindsight I think that this is a lesson of how the Internet empowers small people to say big things, with no barriers, things they would never say without this medium.

I suspect the fools will continue to post more below this line, others, will simply leave this thread. Notifications are "off". Good bye electricianforum.co.uk. 

And so exits (in his own words) the biggest fool.

A shining example of someone whose finger was on the transmit button but wouldn't release to receive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Data, do yourself a favour and unplug absolutely everything that is connected to your socket circuit. Switch off all other circuit breakers. Read meter notice either red light flashing or dial moving, these indicate something is using power (something still connected)  if no light or permanent light or no dual moving no power used. Now switch on plug with nothing plugged in take note of meter again. Now plug in USB adaptor take note of meter again, report back findings. 

Alternatively unplug USB adapter and plug in kettle switch on kettle note meter. 

Fata Morgana ,  the superior image or distant mirage has left us after pushing a thread that seemed to go nowhere .   Andy had , I think, answered his question in post 2 and so the question began to change .

I can understand someone with little electrical knowledge wondering if power flowed when a socket switch was on .   After that ...I don't know .

He then leaves us by saying we are low ability individuals suffering from illusory superiority.  Mistakenly assessing our ability as much higher than it really is . (Google  Dunning - Kruger Principle) 

Thank  you for your visit .

Fata,

You seem an intelligent person, but you come on here with what to be honest [and no insult intended here] is a stupid question...

Your "advisor" apparently declined to speak to us, but then, after having been advised by some of the finest electrical brains in the country, you decide that they are all wrong, and your "friend" knows better???

If you wish to keep trawling the internet for articles posted by lunatics, you carry on!!! Do you watch the videos of "perpetual motion" machines and believe that lettuced too??

Anyway, if you want to leave our happy forum, suit yourself. You never brought anything to it, and likewise, will take nothing away..

Suit yourself what you do....

john..

This is the most surreal post I've ever read on here!!!

Of course power will be used if a socket is left on. It leaks out into the ether. When there is a lot of power stored up in the ether it makes the scary thunder and lightning as it all falls back to earth. I thought everyone knew that!!!!!  

No. I never read the post in the first place, I only saw it this evening after RolandK dug it up.

Latest posts