Don`t laugh - it isn`t a joke ;)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK - probably one of the oddest questions you`re likely to get.......

First, a bit of background. I live next door to a commercial car repair garage, who are currently building an extension to the property. They`ve disturbed some mice; who`ve decided it is a good idea to come into the garden, and climb the bird table to get at the peanut feeder (they seem to like peanuts).

We`ve got the GSD and the Squidgy one, so I didn`t want to put poison down. We did get some "natural" stuff, which is supposed to kill vermin, yet be harmless to pets & humans - 2 problems:

1. The mice don`t like it, so they don`t eat it. Peanuts`re obviously tastier.

2. You aren`t supposed to put it where it can get damp. I`m not going to let them into the house in order to poison `em FCOL!

SO......

We got an old bucket,made a 25mm hole in the bottom. Turned it over, with a bit of cheese, chocolate & peanuts in it. Even made a ramp for `em to go up, fall in, die.

.......They don`t go near it.

The squidge is intermittently defective, as a cat. He has caught two, letting one go & killing t`other. Most of the time, he either watches from a distance, or just lies on the deck & sleepsWet Fish.

SO.......What we`re thinking is........`lectrocute the little bleeders. My question to you is this:

How much juice do I need to disable / fry / vaporise the mice, yet not do any permanent damage to the cat / dog if they were to touch it? Would an electric fence controller work? What do you think please mate??

KME

Commercially produced electronic rat and mouse killers are available and moderately effective.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procter-Bros-Ltd-PSERK-Electronic/dp/B000FII3YW

Nothing beats poison, the safest way around pets is formed blocks that sit over a rod in a special container

http://www.farmway.co.uk/smallholder-82/pest-control-95/farmway-rat-bait-wax-5408.htm

http://www.farmway.co.uk/smallholder-82/pest-control-95/farmway-rat-bait-and-5441.htm

Youll pay more for an electric fence unit and I doubt that would kill them anyway.

Youll pay more for an electric fence unit and I doubt that would kill them anyway.
The Amazon link suggested it isn`t safe to use around pets.........

Poison in blocks - I thought of it, but if the mouse dies from poison, and the cat/dog eat the mouse, what would happen?

As per the `leccy fence - t`were just an idea - I could build something, I just need an idea of the amount of ooomph needed.......

Philbas:

1. Can`t stop putting peanuts out - there`re baby sparrows feeding, and the sparrows & t1t5 were in the garden long before the mice.

2. Considered sending it back as faulty, but it is cute & cuddly (ish)......

KME

Do you want to borrow my terrier?

Honestly he is wicked with spiders!

Nor sure about mice or rats never seen one in my area never mind in my house!

Maybe the terrier keeps them all at bay.

The Amazon link suggested it isn`t safe to use around pets.........Poison in blocks - I thought of it, but if the mouse dies from poison, and the cat/dog eat the mouse, what would happen?

As per the `leccy fence - t`were just an idea - I could build something, I just need an idea of the amount of ooomph needed.......

Philbas:

1. Can`t stop putting peanuts out - there`re baby sparrows feeding, and the sparrows & t1t5 were in the garden long before the mice.

2. Considered sending it back as faulty, but it is cute & cuddly (ish)......

KME
I was thinking that . What if the mouse/ rat had eaten the poison then got eaten by the cat . the cat would be poisoned ?? :eek:

I was thinking that . What if the mouse/ rat had eaten the poison then got eaten by the cat . the cat would be poisoned ?? :eek:
I live in a rural area where tonnes of rat poison is used and I have never seen an animal sick from eating another that has been poisoned, although it is slightly possible.

I see many pets and working dogs that have eaten rat poison directly and some are very poorly.

I use the exact blocks I linked in the exact bait house in my garden with a free running terrier without worry.

Ooooh - Does she rent out?The rifle, not the missus!!!!

Save buying one (that`s the "other plan")

KME
For mice or rats air rifle is most fun but least effective! (Damn satisfying when you get one ;) )

Now that depends how good a shot you are, and how good/ zeroed the sights are......

When I were a lad, in t`navy, I could shoot pips out`ve an apple, without brekkin` skin laddie - it isn`t your fault if you`re a bad shot ;)

seriously, if it`s fun - I`ll get the wife onto it - Either hire Sidewinders, or buy me own :) :) :)

"Dance, you little critter............"

I use cheap peanut butter on standard mousetraps, and when we get an outbreak I can bet on wiping out the nest in a week - when they are around, I catch one every day without fail.

The cat does her bit too, catching the more wild variety of mouse, that's when she isn't busy catching and dismembering baby rabbits...

:|

She had a rat in the garden with it last week!

3 - 9 x 56 scope & silencer.

I used to be able to take a rabbit out clean headshot kill at 35 yds with it.

We both used to shoot with it and practice on plastic pop bottle tops at 30/35 yds.

P.S. Wife not for hire!