Door bell power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valentin

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of installing a door bell and I am using this power adaptor to power it…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077XTJBXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My questions is, will I be able to replace the power adaptor I am using for the bell with a transformer that I can install inside a moulted box in the wall close to a light switch from where I can take input and get rid of the cabling to the power socket?

My current plan is to take the transformer out of the enclosure (the one from Amazon link above) and place it in the plastic moulded box in the wall. Then connect the input cables to the light switch and output cables to the door bell.

Any advice is appreciated. Regards,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like the adaptor plugs into a mains socket. 

image.png

Also the light switch may not have a Neutral wire at the switch, so powering the adaptor from the switch may not be possible.

The one in your link has a label stating 120v 60hz on its cover, so that will probably start emitting smoke if you connect it to a UK 230v 50hz supply.

Or are you not UK based?

Doc H.

You certainly need to sort out the supply voltage issue first, but then I would not advise "re-packaging" the transformer as you suggest. It may not be a transformer in the conventional sense, but an electronic convertor.

On it's input side there will be both over-current and over-temperature protection devices, which will be very small and who's installation and location methods are part of the safety design.

On the output side will be (probably) a printed circuit board, again it's location and mounting being important to the certified double insulation of the device. You cannot easily replicate these features in some other housing.

Just install an extra socket and use the transformer as designed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your answers and advice.

Spoon, you are right, checked and the light switch only has Live(L) brown and COM ports. From what I am reading COM is also a Live port. This rules out what I was thinking to do then as there in no Neutral available at the switch.

Doc Hudson, yes I am in the UK, the pictures are wrong on Amazon, they probably used some stock US ones. The one I received is: Input 230V AC 50Hz 200mA / Output 16V AC 800mA.

Geoff1946, I opened the enclosure and all I can see inside in a transformer with two input wires and two output wires, nothing else, that's why I thought of rehousing it. Even if I had Neutral at the switch I would have probably taken your advice and not rehouse the transformer as it kind of looks as an improvised solution.

The door bell I am installing, which is a "Ring" model says it requires "16 volts AC at ~20 volt-amps when connected directly to a transformer, plug-in adapter, or ~30 volt-amps when used with an internal doorbell". The transformer that I bought with it, which Amazon recommended, gets quite hot. If possible can anyone please recommend a better transformer, if it exists, that does not run that hot?