Power Adapter Assistance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cr4zySmurf

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to power a device that currently uses 2x 1.5v AA batteries but also has a 3.4v DC input for a mains power adapter.

I can't find a 3.4v DC adapter but there are ones that allow for voltage selection starting at 3v, 4.5v, etc. up to 12v, such as this one:

Power Adapter

Could I use one of these adapters on the 3v or 4.5v setting to power the device?

Last edited:
If it works on two AAs then it should be OK on a regulated 3 volt unit, like the one you linked. That's without knowing what the device is!
Mind you set the correct polarity too.

If it works on two AAs then it should be OK on a regulated 3 volt unit, like the one you linked. That's without knowing what the device is!
Mind you set the correct polarity too.
The device is a solar iBoost sender as shown in the images.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_094134.jpg
    IMG_20220613_094134.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 3
I think I will need to extend the cable of the DC adapter by about 2m, I plan to make a cut and then use additional wire inserted between to extend the cable.

Do you see any issues with this? Would I be better off increasing the voltage to the 4.5v option to allow for the voltage drop on the extended cable, or do you think the 3v setting would still be okay?

This is the power adapter that I am considering:

Power Adapter

Again guessing, but if the consumption is low enough to work on batteries I doubt volt drop will be an issue. Alkaline batteries at the end of their life are down to about 1.2, so the device can probably work as low as 2.5. I would certainly not increase the voltage for fear of doing damage. You also don't need to bodge the lead; purpose made extensions are readily available.