Door Entry - One Handset, Two Doors?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkitson

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a user with an existing 5 wire Elvox audio + door release to the main door of her block of flats.  This needs to be extended with an additional handset to her bedroom.  She also needs an entry phone for her own flat door to the same bedroom.

Ideally, there should be a single handset in her bedroom, either with one door release button that operates both door locks or two buttons, one for each lock.

Anybody heard of a handset designed for this sort of application or a likely manufacturer/supplier?

I would expect that adding a handset in parallel with the handset for the main door would work so long as there is enough power in the Call circuit to drive two buzzers?

I imagine that driving two doors from one handset couldn't be made to work, even if diodes could be used to isolate the lock release (if the lock release uses DC - I haven't checked).  It would be great to be proved wrong - giving her two phones will be untidy and confusing

I have done this a few times. Many phones are availible that have extra buttons you wire for what you want. You should not have any problems adding a handset. Just volt drop for the release if its a long cable run

Edit, just realised you mean a second door entry at her front door. A bit more difficult, but could be done. How many ways/doors is the main panel

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply - I see you're as bad as me, staying up late!

The main panel is approx 20 way, there is one door release.  About half the flats have Elvox ART5404/02 video entry sets .

I wouldn't expect to get access to the main panel - the managing agent would require their electrician to do any work on the panel but wouldn't do internal work in her flat - one of those difficult situations :-(

Back in the day I used to do loads of these with Entryphone systems, one handset , two buttons , for two doors. Additional handsets as required. BUT this was for the Entryphone system....don't know about any others though
But i read it as he wanted a second station also outside the flat door.  Entryphone make a flipover relay kit to allow 2 outside stations at different doors to work & only opens the door that is being called from. Thats not going to happen here as you need full access to the buildings system and would cost more than a standalone kit