Doorbell Not Working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdnarolyat

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to work out why my doorbell isn't working. It must've stopped working sometime in the past couple of weeks; we have not been doing any work in the vicinity of the doorbell, wiring, or chime so I wonder whether it's something has worn out, there's a loose connection or fault in the wiring.

The house was built in 1928 and I'm not sure whether or not it is still the original wiring, doorbell and chime.

So far I have taken the doorbell off and touched the 2 wires together and there was no ring. Unfortunately, I made the schoolboy error of not taking a picture before I removed the wires...

Should the wire go beneath the washer or between the washer and the screwhead?

Beyond that should I next test whether the chime is receiving a signal when the doorbell is pressed? Would I need a multimeter for that?

I'll also have to try and locate the transformer.

Any advice would be great.

On the basis its mains/transfomer there is very little to go wrong.

Bell push

Transfomer

Bell "sounder"

Cabling

Bell transfomers are often tucked away - I'd start looking near your fusebox

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Murdoch.

I think I forgot to attach the image...

Will I need a multimeter to test the transformer and bell?

Doorbell.jpg

After tracing the wiring, I have found what I think is the transformer.  It looks pretty old.

Transformer.jpg

The sounder looks like this:

Sounder.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Is that first image with the fuses the transformer?  The house is 90+ years old and we've got an electrician who is going to help us with re-wiring.

Is it not worth trying to find the fault then?

I could look into getting a temporary wireless battery operated doorbell until I can get an electrician out once lockdown is over.

Thanks for the replies.

Is that first image with the fuses the transformer?  The house is 90+ years old and we've got an electrician who is going to help us with re-wiring.

Is it not worth trying to find the fault then?

I could look into getting a temporary wireless battery operated doorbell until I can get an electrician out once lockdown is over.

By all means use a plug in one as a temporary measure but if you’re going to have a rewire then a replacement hard wired unit would be my recommendation. 

No batteries to replace and they are generally louder too

hope this helps