Earth Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I've stayed in a new build for about 3 years and each year I get my boiler serviced. This year the boiler engineer found a fault during the electrical check. He said it failed on earth continuity and resistance to earth. With fuse out and spur off the LE and NE read 250k holms when it should be at least 1 mega holms. He suggested I get an electrician out to check it.

I just want to check if anybody has came across this issue before? I'm not sure if there would be a very simple reason for this, something I could possibly check or fix myself for example. Rather than calling an electrician which would cost me just to identify where the issue is and that's before any fixes are applied.

Any recommendations on what I could do prior to calling an electrain would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I've stayed in a new build for about 3 years and each year I get my boiler serviced. This year the boiler engineer found a fault during the electrical check. He said it failed on earth continuity and resistance to earth. With fuse out and spur off the LE and NE read 250k holms when it should be at least 1 mega holms. He suggested I get an electrician out to check it.

I just want to check if anybody has came across this issue before? I'm not sure if there would be a very simple reason for this, something I could possibly check or fix myself for example. Rather than calling an electrician which would cost me just to identify where the issue is and that's before any fixes are applied.

Any recommendations on what I could do prior to calling an electrain would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I would guess Mr Plumber is probably not using calibrated test equipment, nor using what they do have correctly to diagnose anything.

As said..
If in any doubt get a qualified electrician to test suspect electrical problems.

Is the fused spur a RCD fused spur ?

Did said plumber disconnect the boiler to get these readings ?
Hi, I think it's just a regular switch. And I believe he disconnected everything before getting those readings

Attachments

• 20231017_093421.jpg
    20231017_093421.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the replies. I've attached the details of the fault. It would be amazing if anybody could advise further please?

Attachments

• IMG-20231016-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20231016-WA0000.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I agree with John, that "engineer" doesn't know his ohms from his holms.

What a scruffy report, feels like a scam.

Is the boiler working ?

Ignore.

Or get an electrician to check.

I agree with John, that "engineer" doesn't know his ohms from his holms.

What a scruffy report, feels like a scam.

Is the boiler working ?

Ignore.

Or get an electrician to check.
Yes the boiler is still in working order and nothing else seems to suggest there is a problem

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like the general consensus is that it doesn't sound an issue but should get an electrician to check.

For someone uneducated like myself, can someone explain (in layman terms preferably) what these readings actually mean please?