Economy7 /water tank

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something not wired right with water tank. And obviously they’ve installed beautiful expensive heating. So I can change the heaters back to storage heaters. But it’s the water tank that stumping me. I think the hot we had today was what was left of the day before. I’m leaving it off and just waiting to see when it runs out what happens. But as I understand it it should turn on to heat water until 12pm ish but this was definitely heating water around 8pm. 

The wiring is probably there still, just been reconfigured at the consumer units.  Unless it's had a full rewire I would just expect them to swap the off peak feeds for the storage heaters so a permanent feed just by swapping them over in the consumer units.
I’m hoping so. 

interesting comment from their solicitor

does your electricity supply / meter have E7 activated?
This was in the house criteria. Written by seller. Ive checked it definitely says heating runs from economy 7 storage heaters. They not storage heaters and water is heated on economy 7. Which it’s not. 
i have two rates on meter so I’m assuming so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you still have a dual rate meter then they will be correct that everything used in the house over night will be charged at the cheap rate.

What did the EPC say about the house before you bought it?

Turning off the lights and making the kids sit in the dark is only a tiny tiny fraction of your energy use and I doubt you will notice, it is the heating that is running up the bills.  I really think these days when marketing a house for sale or rent you should be forced to declare the actual total annual energy bills.

the only long term solution is a better heating system.

If you still have a dual rate meter then they will be correct that everything used in the house over night will be charged at the cheap rate.

What did the EPC say about the house before you bought it?

Turning off the lights and making the kids sit in the dark is only a tiny tiny fraction of your energy use and I doubt you will notice, it is the heating that is running up the bills.  I really think these days when marketing a house for sale or rent you should be forced to declare the actual total annual energy bills.

the only long term solution is a better heating system.
Agree. We knew it was going to be dearer. Once I get tank sorted. We can think about heating. I’d prefer storage heaters as I know how to use them as old house had them. Anyone want to buy 8 haverland heaters? Haha 

Agree. We knew it was going to be dearer. Once I get tank sorted. We can think about heating. I’d prefer storage heaters as I know how to use them as old house had them. Anyone want to buy 8 haverland heaters? Haha 
The problem you will find is LOT20.  A stupid EU directive (that we should bin now we have left) that demands all heaters have fancy electronic controls to make them more "efficient"

Apart from being hard to understand for the average user, they also need a permanent as well as off peak supply, so some rewiring needed.

If you really want old school simple storage heaters you better start scouring ebay / gumtree / freecycle etc hoping to find some good condition second hand ones being removed (by someone fitting these posh heaters instead)

You could try selling the posh heaters, they are not cheap new from the suppliers.

Or air source heat pump but you really need under floor heating rather than radiators for that.

Is gas available where you are? that will still be the cheapest solution if available.