EICR/PIR for 2up 2 down Is price excessive given extent and "limitations"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear in mind the drive by brigade charge about £75 for a report not worth the paper it’s written / printed on

And they often set out to get remedials

I’m never the cheapest and base my pricing on doing an EICR. Remedials are a totally separate matter

In answer to the last question, yes this is normal.
Thanks. Phrasing my questions properly helps.
I think you are expecting more bang for bucks?
Maybe just higher expectations of safety certificates. Lofts being prone to containing a multitude of sins. potentially cable chewing rodents. I would have just expected it. If it were me with my name on the cert i would feel i had a duty to pop my head up there.
Without being party to the agreement at the time how would you or I know what was agreed and whether the price included a few small remedial that don’t fall upon the EICR?

Paper trail tells all.
Bear in mind the drive by brigade charge about £75 for a report not worth the paper it’s written / printed on

And they often set out to get remedials

I’m never the cheapest and base my pricing on doing an EICR. Remedials are a totally separate matter
If the loft is fairly accessible, no loft ladder but hatch at 2.4m would you poke you head up there or would you include it in the limitations?

Thanks. Phrasing my questions properly helps.

Maybe just higher expectations of safety certificates. Lofts being prone to containing a multitude of sins. potentially cable chewing rodents. I would have just expected it. If it were me with my name on the cert i would feel i had a duty to pop my head up there.

Paper trail tells all.

If the loft is fairly accessible, no loft ladder but hatch at 2.4m would you poke you head up there or would you include it in the limitations?
Proper testing and understanding of the results would indicate integrity of the cable, so not always a necessity to see the cable.

Maybe my question should be. Is it normal not to include the loft in ALL EICRs regardlesd
Very normal. Lofts are rarely safely boarded out for sale access. So tip toeing through foot deep insulation risks cracking ceilings or even falling completely through, plus you can't find ****** all without lifting all the insulation. The only time I would take much notice of a loft space is in a thatched roof property. These have a unique set of guidelines and fire risks which requires a different set of installation methods known as the 'Dorset model'.

Proper testing and understanding of the results would indicate integrity of the cable, so not always a necessity to see the cable.
Fair enough. The problems here are around fittings..actually issues that were raised previously. e.g. where LED light was fitted at the time of an EICR and everything was left in loose in the loft in wago connectors. or unused 4th core conductors left bare. That wouldn't come up with the testing.

Very normal. Lofts are rarely safely boarded out for sale access. So tip toeing through foot deep insulation risks cracking ceilings or even falling completely through, plus you can't find ****** all without lifting all the insulation. The only time I would take much notice of a loft space is in a thatched roof property. These have a unique set of guidelines and fire risks which requires a different set of installation methods known as the 'Dorset model'.
Fair enough. Thanks. But Would you not stick your head up there to see if it was boarded?
Don’t reference me. I just confirmed I take a look.

Many don’t
i shaln't. Just wanted a general feel.

It is at the discretion of the individual as to whether they wish to put their head above the ceiling, so no one size fits all, however regs allow for it not to be done.
As for you concern of light fittings, if a sample were checked from below it is usually easy to determine if a JB has been utilised or not.
If I were to find one without them I’d be inclined to check all and report accordingly.

Totally agree that it's down to the person carrying out the eicr if the loft is accessed.

If a loft is boarded the chances are you can't see anything as it's all buried under the boards.

If its not boarded its buried under insulation.

Depending on the age of the property fewer and fewer are using Junction boxes in the loft. As they use a different wiring method now.

If I fit jointboxes in lofts they are near the hatch if possible as I don't want to be roasted alive in a loft in this weather.

I'm based in NW and yes I'd be a little cheaper, but I'd say it's a reasonable price for the area in question, and the limitations are acceptable.

I've seen satisfactory eicrs with limitations on all test results "as the client wouldn't let me turn the power off' !!

Fair enough. Thanks. But Would you not stick your head up there to see if it was boarded?
If it hasn't got a loft ladder even that can be awkward. If it has got a loft ladder, then it may be boarded and probably full of junk. And as @mort2376 said, you can't see nowt for the boards and loft insulation.