EICR RCD question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sent them a note advising them that i have had the report looked at, sent them the quoted parts and asked them if they still think its correct - will see what the "Sales Advisor" (another red flag) comes back with this time, then will let loose with complaints to BG and associations etc...

didn't realize it would be subbed out, and by the looks of it subbed out again as the report is from Propcert.co.uk and the actual inspection was done by a local electrician firm in Bexley.

I frequently get e-mails from companies offering to do EICR's for my customers on my behalf....

Just found one from 17 April..   few key names etc hidden..

But you get the gist of what they offer..

Dear Sir / Madam,
I was wondering if "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" provide Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR)?
If you do, I think I can help you by providing a subcontracting service for EICR. Often, we find that some electrical contractors simply don't have the manpower or the time to do testing themselves, and that's where we come in.
Our directly employed electricians arrive in plain white, unbranded vans and can act as your staff and wear your company uniforms (if you provide them). We can even emboss your company details on to our high quality test labels and final reports - in short, the whole service can be made to look like it has come directly from your company. All you need to do is take your customer's order, then give us a call, earning you a passive income whilst your own team undertake other projects.
We undertake this sort of subcontracting for many electrical and facilities companies throughout the UK. Most importantly, quality and safety are also our top priorities,

blah, blah, blah...

If this is something which you’d be interested in speaking about, feel free to email me back or call me on xxxxxxxxxxx

Many thanks,

So this subbing - out concept is obviously standard practice for some within the industry!

I can guess at the types of "electrician" who are the poor sods at the bottom of the chain..

Doing the actual inspection work, but getting the least money from the job...

So is it any wonder that the "quality" of reports is a bit hit and miss?

and/or it could be a scenario where a subcontractor gives one code...

But someone in the office decides to change it? 

:C

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a link on another thread to someone offering a CU upgrade for a £1.00

and an EICR for £100.00... 

you could always try them!!!!!

:slap

But...

on a serious note..

it all just goes to show how difficult it is for customers to identify and get reliable tradespersons..

When most of the changes to BS7671...

and the quick & easy short course training...

and lack of policing or enforcement of regulations within the industry..

are just making it a complete bun-fight for anyone trying to get some work done correctly at a reasonable price.

Voluntary membership of trades bodies...

purchased by the contractor, creates an immediate conflict of interests when contractors bend or ignore BS7671 good practice!

Bit like the biased "good tradesmen" websites..

"Find A Trusted Check A Person" who's paid us a lot of money to advertise on this site!!

Legally acceptable DIY electrical work doesn't help much either....   

when Bob down the pub can get a CU from B&Q plus a few sockets & some drums of T&E...

so it can't be that hard can it?????

:shakehead

I just sent them a note advising them that i have had the report looked at, sent them the quoted parts and asked them if they still think its correct - will see what the "Sales Advisor" (another red flag) comes back with this time, then will let loose with complaints to BG and associations etc...
it will be interesting to see what bull they return with, although it will give us the opportunity to show these up for what they are. 

That response does read more as a threat.

You have had an EICR completed, this is the legal requirement. It does not have to be satisfactory. 

Within 28 days the faults identified need to be rectified and paperwork raised accordingly.

You do not need a satisfactory EICR, just evidence that the remedial works have been completed.

Speak to some other electrical companies and get quotes for remedial works. I would recommend you go for the ones that would replace the MCBs with RCBOs and issue a minor works certificate. The certificate is your proof that remedial works have been completed.

So I chased and eventually got an update from them:

The main electrician has looked into this and agrees. He has therefore amended the certificate so that it is satisfactory. Please find attached

So they have reversed the C2 finding, as I thought they would, and re-issued the cert - until I went back quoting the regs they were still trying to push the 985GBP work to "fix" the dangerous situation.

Next steps are to go back to BG and let them know what their sub has been up to.

Thanks for all your inputs - the saga will continue!

Toby.

PS - I also got a quote for a new board from a local electrician and will likely get this done later this year for the tenants.

So I chased and eventually got an update from them:

The main electrician has looked into this and agrees. He has therefore amended the certificate so that it is satisfactory. Please find attached

So they have reversed the C2 finding, as I thought they would, and re-issued the cert - until I went back quoting the regs they were still trying to push the 985GBP work to "fix" the dangerous situation.

Next steps are to go back to BG and let them know what their sub has been up to.

Thanks for all your inputs - the saga will continue!

Toby.

PS - I also got a quote for a new board from a local electrician and will likely get this done later this year for the tenants.

Thank you for letting us know what happened next.

Glad we could help you

This is exactly the persistence that is required to help stop these flybynight EICR’s reports from scamming money from innocent clients. 
If only we had a representative body that would intervene ?