RCD types - 531.3.3 - when doing EICR's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many people have clocked the changes to this section 531.3 and specifically 531.3.3 and then the Notes on page 157 of the BBrB?

I must admit this had passed me by but when doing EICR's how would you code a type AC RCD?

My colours are tied to the mast as a C3

thoughts?

Depends how you feel about the AC types being 'blinded' by the DC components. How about alterations where you have the AC type in situ whereby the dist board cannot facilitate a type A rcd/rcbo.

Depends how you feel about the AC types being 'blinded' by the DC components. How about alterations where you have the AC type in situ whereby the dist board cannot facilitate a type A rcd/rcbo.
you don't tend to get many DC components other than PV systems, and they are RCD protected internally at the inverters. Other than that I can only think of LED drivers that may backfeed DC into the system, or am I completely missing something?

you don't tend to get many DC components other than PV systems, and they are RCD protected internally at the inverters. Other than that I can only think of LED drivers that may backfeed DC into the system, or am I completely missing something?

More sales and profits for manufacturers?

I'm beginning to think you don't like these people :D

Its not that I don't like them but because they have so much influence , which they use to further their sales and profits I'm always very vary of the regs changes

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before I have to explain to some decent customer, that there fairly recent CU needs upgrading ....... and as usual its us mugs that get to do the explaining .............

Because I’m a bit old school I have ideas that I should try and keep up to date - I suspect I’m in the very small number of sparks who actually try!

I'm listening to a NAPIT webiner as I'm doing admin and this just popped up regarding this very subject:

RCD Type A.jpg

However absolutely no guidance as to what "known presence of DC" actually meant - muppets - surely they could have listed some common examples or am I expecting too much?

Some switch mode power supplies, ev points, inverters, vsd found in many washing machines.