EICR RCD question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole report is below - it came with a cover letter that warns of Urgent issues and a cost of 985GBP +VAT to resolve, lots of warnings about fines etc. but nothing on the actual work required. Only when i pushed them on it did they come back with the very vague responses.

My last note to them was to ensure they spelled out what they were claiming so i can get a second opinion and lodge a complaint if necessary - the whole thing just smells of work generation unfortunately. Note and response is blow:

Hi ,

So should the report be amended as it does not tally, and I really want to understand the issue that requires attention. 

This report is saying that the current consumer unit, which has all of the circuits with sockets protected by RCD, but has no RCD protection on the lighting circuits and a cooker circuit that has no outlet is a potentially dangerous (C2) fault and the only way to rectify this is to fit a new consumer unit for 985GBP +VAT ?

Sorry for the back and forth but I really need to understand what the report is telling me, and the C3 in the details and C2 in the summary with C3 text has me confused!

Their response - short and sweet as usual:

Hi Toby

That is correct.

kind regards

Cover letter:

Cover_cropped.jpg

3rd MCB from the main switch on the right looks like a 10A on the photo...

yet the schedule of results calls it a 6A??

As for the first comment stating you don't have a 6month RCD test label..  (that didn't exist when that board was fitted)...

BUT you DO have a 3month quarterly test label..  (the big silver one)..

And the third comment..  re the mixed colour label..  (which is the yellow one on your board next to the silver one)..

Suggests they are either, blind, can't read, or just plain incompetent... 

If they cant even figure out what labels should or shouldn't be there..

Or get the correct MCB ratings listed on the circuits descriptions then gawd help us..

I'm guessing this was done by someone who's come though the inspection & testing "Short-Course" training program..

with zero understanding of the real world.

You could go to Screwfix and buy some RCBO's to pop in that board on the Non-RCD side.. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-6a-30ma-sp-type-b-rcbo/35586

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-32a-30ma-sp-type-b-rcbo/39356

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-10a-30ma-sp-type-b-rcbo/20050

even at Screwfix prices, and waz a bit of labour for replace & test them..

Its still one helluva lot cheaper than £900+

:C

The Code 2 item from that Report is incorrect, fault protection is provided by the existing protective devices. You need to go back to them and state it is technically incorrect

I don’t even think the test schedule relates to your board. There are 5 circuits on the non RCD side of your board from picture but only 4 listed on schedule. 

Did you find whom they are registered with? 

That EICR is questionable to say the least.

I would walk away from them and find a local spark to retest, but make sure they know what they are doing

OP - how much did you pay for this inspection?

I don’t even think the test schedule relates to your board. There are 5 circuits on the non RCD side of your board from picture but only 4 listed on schedule. 

Did you find whom they are registered with? 
I think it is sort of correct - the 5th one is marked as a spare, some do appear to have incorrect ratings on the report, a 10A is listed as a 6A.

I will go back to them with the codes and findings and see what they say.

The inspection was arranged through British Gas, we have the landlord coverage for the heating systems with them, this was our house in the UK before we moved to the USA, and was previously owned by an electrician (No idea if thats good or bad!).

The inspection cost 234.99 from British Gas.

I would speak to BG and request a second opinion based on grossly negligent technical disparity between regulation requirements and interpretation. Advise them that you will be seeking to take this matter further as BG are employing the services of incompetent persons and now that you have made them aware they have a duty to rectify the issue. 

in the meantime get your proof over to the registration body - whilst they might not be interested you are building a paper trail and case against them. 
This is going to take some work and effort on your part to get the right outcome. 

The inspection was arranged through British Gas, we have the landlord coverage for the heating systems with them, this was our house in the UK before we moved to the USA, and was previously owned by an electrician (No idea if thats good or bad!).

The inspection cost 234.99 from British Gas.

Ouch ouch ouch

That said BG prices are always OTT

Where in the UK is the property and how big is it?

Its in south east london (orpington) and its fairly big, its either a 3 bed 3 reception, or a 4 bed 2 reception detached house, 1936 with extensions over the years. We went with BG because it seemed to be simple as we have the cover from them for the heating / boiler which has been pretty effective, didn't realize it would be subbed out, and by the looks of it subbed out again as the report is from Propcert.co.uk and the actual inspection was done by a local electrician firm in Bexley.

We also figured we could arrange it all online and access the outputs trough our BG account which is a benefit as we live in California, so time zones and online access is nice to have, however as they subbed the whole thing out this wasn't the case.

Lesson learned for next time - go local and trusted, we will be raising a complaint with BG for the whole thing when we have a final resolution.

Also want to figure out if we should replace the board / CU and install more protection, I am not trying to avoid the work if it is actually required (which it seems not) or would provide a decent level of additional protection (Which seems marginal), but the whole thing so far makes me feel that they are trying to rip me off and I definitely wont be doing any works thru them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Propcert appears to be a middleman agent/scheme akin to TAT/CAT etc. You call them they arrange a tradesperson for your needs. Only these do it for businesses as well. 
So BG probably have an account with them and they supply customer details for them to find a local tradesperson. 

If you want to replace the board you will gain greater safety on the existing non RCD circuits but is it necessary? If you are renting the property out then maybe covers you more so as a landlord, if you are living there then you probably have enough knowledge of the property to know if anything has been interfered with in your absence which can be remedied? 

and was previously owned by an electrician (No idea if thats good or bad!).

Mostly bad  :^O

They've also put LIM on the inspection schedule for some of the inspection items (sections 13 &15), but then in the limitations section on the cert (page one section 4) they've put N/A. 

Also, nit picking, they don't know the difference between O and 0 (max Zs on page 7).

You've paid the correct rate for a decent EICR but you've received the quality of a 40 quid one in terms of the technical knowledge of the person carrying it out. 

I'd find a local reputable electrician to carry out another EICR. 

The installation could definitely be made safer with works to bring it up to the current regs, full RCD protection, metal CU for example but that is your decision to make using your own judgement assisted by somebody suitably competent, not the decision of somebody who is carrying out substandard EICRs coupled with threatening letters and poor communication skills. 

Yeah - that's what i figured - have pinged a couple of local electricians with good reviews and a friend of a friend to get some alternative options and quotes for the work, like i said I don't mind doing the work if it's worth it for the tenants - eventually we are likely to move back into the house, it's the arm twisting approach I object to which has put my back up right now!

Well if you wanted to really put the cat amongst the pigeons you could send an individual letter of complaint to each BG/ Procert/ electrcial contractor. Asking why they are in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as they are offering a service that is unfit for purpose. State the regulations and technical incompetence as pointed out by @Fleeting along with references to @Murdoch link as an industry standard and ask each for an explanation. 
Invite them to respond within 14 days or you will take further action.