ELCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would still have been TT even if earthed by the water pipe, so if the DNO didnt supply an earth in the first place they have no obligation to maintain one or provide one now. If they are going to replace the cable from the street and give you an earth FOC then you are lucky, you would normally be charged for it, or told they didnt provide an earth, its upto you to get your sparky to do it
Not coming tomorrow now. Too big a job at short notice.

Sparky says power provider has to supply an earth.

if they supplied one then they must maintain it, however they have no obligation to provide one in the first place. there are some cases where they will refuse to give you one

I think you need a new sparky....

Last edited by a moderator:
if they supplied one then they must maintain it, however they have no obligation to provide one in the first place. there are some cases where they will refuse to give you one

Yes.

But there are ways around it, if the customer has an old service head or damaged equipment then they will replace the earthing as a part of the repair.

In the case of a TT system the earthing is the responsibility of the customer & their electrian.

I have had UKPN refuse to provide an earth before also but I guess it depends on the situation and the DNO's internal procedures on such matters.

:)

Not trying to be conflicting this is just my experience.

Just beginning to wonder if it was good to start this thread.

A lot of conflicting advice.

There is no conflicting advice as far as I can see, just the unknown fact of what the original earth arrangements were with your installation. Plus the fact that over the years some requirements of BS7671 wiring regulations have changed. A few key points are as follows;

A supply company is not obliged to provide an earth to any electrical installation.

If the supply company does agree to supply an earth it is their responsibility to maintain it to a satisfactory level.

If the supply company refuses to supply an earth connection, then it is the property owners responsibility to ensure a means of earthing and to maintain the earth integrity.

A locally supplied earth could be by rod, tape, structural steel, etc. But it has never been permitted to use a Gas supply pipe as an earth.

Prior to 1966 it was permitted to use a water pipe as a means of providing an electrical earth.

I think the confusion comes from where you said a man form Scottish power said the property never had an earth yet they are going to supply one?. Normally that would suggest it is your responsibility to get the poor earth fixed. However if it is a TT installation, then 4.35ohms is a good earth not a bad earth.

He got a reading of 4.35 ohms.

Chap from Scottish power arrived and said this house has never had an earth.

Doc H.

but if they never provided an earth in the first place there is nothing to 'repair'

still a lot of info missing, but it seems as though its TT and the DNO are making it TN FOC. which does seem odd

Very true, we don't know what it is. Fair enough if it's  a dodgy TNS cable, but as you say he might be getting a free upgrade.

but if they never provided an earth in the first place there is nothing to 'repair'

still a lot of info missing, but it seems as though its TT and the DNO are making it TN FOC. which does seem odd

I would have thought that both the customers own electrician and the DNO should have enough noggin to figure if its is TT or TN?  The more concerning bit is why has the gas man has got a "test meter" yet he couldn't figure the earth type or who it should be escalated to, to be resolved. If they cannot use the tools or interpret the information correctly perhaps they should just stick to pipes and gas and water and leave those competent to work with electricity and wires to check out supplies and earths etc?

Doc H.

I would have thought that both the customers own electrician and the DNO should have enough noggin to figure if its is TT or TN?  The more concerning bit is why has the gas man has got a "test meter" yet he couldn't figure the earth type or who it should be escalated to, to be resolved. If they cannot use the tools or interpret the information correctly perhaps they should just stick to pipes and gas and water and leave those competent to work with electricity and wires to check out supplies and earths etc?

Doc H.
At what point is someone going to tell me what all the abbreviations are?

TT TN DNO etc etc.

I am not  spark I am only a power company customer.

TT - Tera Tera or earth goes direct to 'earth' via connection direct into soil around your property, usually via an earth rod, but in older property the water pipe was frequently used, which is great until the water board changes your old metal pipe for plastic

TN - Tera Neutral 2 versions of this, but in layman's terms it's an earth provided by your District Network Operator ie with the supply cable. Cable comes from local sub station/ transformer, and an 'earth' rod is fitted there to provide earthing.

At some point all systems are connected to the 'earth' as in the big planet we live on.

TT - Tera Tera or earth goes direct to 'earth' via connection direct into soil around your property, usually via an earth rod, but in older property the water pipe was frequently used, which is great until the water board changes your old metal pipe for plastic

TN - Tera Neutral 2 versions of this, but in layman's terms it's an earth provided by your District Network Operator ie with the supply cable. Cable comes from local sub station/ transformer, and an 'earth' rod is fitted there to provide earthing.

At some point all systems are connected to the 'earth' as in the big planet we live on.
Thank you this is the answer I wanted.

However how do I know which one, as a layman, it is?

Latest posts