Electrical Courses Exam Simulators

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Names and Eponyms

People's names take capital initials (Michael Jones, Mary Smith), as do their appellations (Mr, Ms, Mrs, Miss, Rev, Dr, Prof), but the capitalisation

of eponyms (words derived from people's names) is less consistent. Most take lower case –

nicotine (Jean Nicot)

ohm (Georg Simon Ohm)

sadist (Marquis de Sade)

sandwich (the 4th Earl of Sandwich)

saxophone (Antoine Sax)

volt (Alessandro Volt)

watt (James Watt)

When a unit of measurement is named after someone, convention has it that the word is written entirely in lower case when talking about that unit, but the single letter abbreviation of that unit is written in upper case.

Some examples should clarify this.

The unit of voltage is the volt, named after Volta, and abbreviated to V.

The unit of current is the ampere, named after Ampère, and abbreviated to A.

The unit of resistance is the ohm, named after Ohm, abbreviated in this case with the Greek letter Ω, pronounced omega, (not omeega).

So, 5V and 12 volts are both correct, but 5v and 12 Volts are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I appreciate your comments and i'm working on the footer problem, its because of a recent website theme change. Complaining about the gramma doesn't help much, its not an English exam, instead take a screenshot and email it to me that would be much better and helpful. Next time please read the information on the page and on this post and I have said there are "glitches".

This program is completely free so please appreciate the hours of work that have gone into this as a revision tool, I know there are problems but hopefully I can iron them out with people's help. 
Grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalisation are as important, as the science.

Unless of course you feel that the following are all the same SI units?

mS, MS, ms &Ms?

If any of you don't know the error in the above & believe that they are irrelevant, then you REALLY need to review your knowledge.

Click the link for the Electrical courses exam simulators

Have fun

Neil
Needs a LOT of work.  1 out of 10 for trying.

I can normally answer the first question, but then the second question comes up and the "answer" button does nothing. In fact the only button that then works is "finish" that takes you to the end and shows the answers.

Oh and the footer bar is in the middle of the screen obscuring some of the questions.

A classic case of it has been tested with ONE browser and that works so it must be okay.

If you did it yourself, in needs a LOT more work, try it on lots of different browsers, it certainly does not work on Opera.

If you paid someone to do it, ask for a refund, or demand he fixes it free of charge.

All meant as constructive criticism.

This SI unit has a name derived from the proper name of a person. As such, its symbol begins with a capital letter (V). Its name, instead, is always spelled out in lowercase (volt), unless it begins a sentence (or is the name "degree Celsius").

Can't read them, sorry, not your fault they don't display this end.

Your statements are not fully correct, however, I do admit that my explanation is also not fully correct.

5v in your earlier post can be correct, depending on context, if, it is followed by something else.

The definitive answers are however, with regard to SI symbols are not to be found on the "general" internet.

You HAVE to refer to the ISO/EN/CENELEC/BS standards as to what the actual requirements are.

The difference is if you are referring to a value, or a term, and the context.

Once again it is NOT a simple as you suggest, and I openly admit, not a simple as I first suggested, because I took it in the context of a C&G exam answer where one is dealing with values of voltage {sic} which must be in the form of e.g 230V.

Now there are other scenarios, but these are in general outside the scope of the C&G exams.

Grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalisation are as important, as the science.

mS, MS, ms &Ms?

If any of you don't know the error in the above & believe that they are irrelevant, then you REALLY need to review your knowledge.
He did not mention SI units and neither did I. The only problem you may find with the SI units on that particular 2382 exam simulator are that the Ω symbol did not convert very well into the software and came out as a ?, so not sure where you are coming from with that statement.

Also by your statement someone who is severely dyslexic also needs to review there knowledge? I have taught quite a few people with Dyslexia and whilst they had problems spelling quite a few of the Electrical terms, their motivation was outstanding and they often were above average and near to the top and have know gone on to become qualified Electricians.

eodneil,

Dyslexia is a funny thing, and is not as simple as people think in my experience, and yes I do know dyslexic people.

However, no matter that the disability, if they do not understand the topic, and cannot respond in the correct way without help then they can be dangerous, so how can they be competent without help, which if they are alone in the field they will not have.

This is an extremely unfortunate scenario, but, if for example a mute person is tasked with acoustically warning people by telling them what is wrong, how can the do this if they are mute, right, wrong, not for me to decide, but if they are mute then they cannot do this without assistance, so, if this is their task, then they must have assistance at all times.

Now if a dyslexic person cannot understand the technicalities and nuances of the safe interpretation of BS7671, then ok, but, any employer, must then ensure that they have adequate support at all times to ensure that they can understand the requirements, and articulate them.

If, this is not possible then they may well be a danger to themselves and others.

So, one has to ask, if they are assisted to do their qualifications, which, one can argue they should be, are they then safe to work on site on their own and fully interpret, implement and explain the requirements of BS7671 to others without help?

Right or wrong is not the question.

The question is, if they don't understand without help are the competent alone?

Well it seems that others have picked up on capitalisation being wrong, this relates to SI units totally.

For a Gors boy you really do seem to have become Sais! ;)

Fair play trying to advance the tools of teaching for your students.

Had a quick go & same as some of the others have already mentioned:

• footer across the answers.
  • some questions just have "null" as a statement.
  • answer button not working.

Gave up at the answer button not working...................

Fair play trying to advance the tools of teaching for your students.

Had a quick go & same as some of the others have already mentioned:

• footer across the answers.
  • some questions just have "null" as a statement.
  • answer button not working.

Gave up at the answer button not working...................
Thank you that's exactly what I'm after. 

mS, MS, ms &Ms?

I have seen a few German Educational Films where MS has featured heavily...just saying

Diction and grammar are everything in my book. Call it a base line if you will. If people don't worry about these "irrelevant" things I always feel that has a knock on effect in their attention to detail generally.

If I make a spelling mistake in a post and notice it afterwards I'll always try and go back and change it.

It makes me cringe when looking at schematics or ladder diagrams and someone has written say, "Hydrolic". 

As for being dyslexic, just to add I don't believe in Dog! 

The footer has now been removed, so it doesn't block any of the screen on mobile devices, or at the finish page. Some of the null answers or questions have been sorted, it was apostrophes in the original excel spreadsheet that was causing that, there still might be a couple there somewhere. The software doesn't like apostrophes so I can't be blamed for that ;) .

The buttons have been more spaced out to prevent any problems hopefully.

Anyone that uses the simulators can you let me know here if you come across anymore Glitches.

Dave was it just the 2395 exam that doesn't work in Opera or the whole thing? I will add it in on the webpage if its not compatible. 

Thanks for your help.

It's broke even more now using Opera. None of them work.  Pressing the "start" button gets me a rotating "please wait" symbol for a second then nothing, it stays on the overview page.

Ok thanks for that, I can at least let people know on the website for now.

works fine on Linux using chrome, [ I think,]

needs some work on the detail,

but, seems to be ok in general.
Cheers

Can you be more specific on the "detail" part and I can get that improved.

Neil