Electrical Safety Register

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rutts35

PDF Magician™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there been some debate around this but wanted to gauge opinions. I'm employed full time by a printing company. Whilst carrying out my day to day duties I received and e-mail from our safety manager which contained a document that had been issued by our head of safety. Among other things it contained a stipulation for electrical contractors. Basically saying we had to check whether they were registered with

[SIZE=9pt]UK - New Electrical Safety Register for Electricians in UK[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]http://www.electricalsafetyregister.com/[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

Now i read this and mentioned to the safety manager that I disagreed with this as that register is just a creation of the ESC and ECA (effectively the NIC and elecsa). So people on the other made up register would be disregarded. I said that if they wished to go down that sort of root then they should be asking for contractors to be either members of an approved scheme or just on the competent person register.

What do others think?

Cheers

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

So the stipulation of being an electrical contractor working for your employers printing company is to be Part P registered?

That is a joke, they should be making sure that they are proper industrial contractors

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I know.This is way above my head. My firm don't really understand the electrical side of things from any point of view. I don't know who has dreamed it up but it's someone who's not a spark. Probably not even involved in any engineering full stop.

Explain to them that that register is primarily concerned with domestic work only and that contractors on it may not even know what 3phase is, a lot on it don't even understand single phase.

I disagree that the register is primarily for part P. I thought it was just an extension of the NICEIC contractor database that lists all of their contractors not just Domestic installers, but now with the ECA & ELECSA contractors included as well. So I do agree with Rutts that it is basically asking for NIC & ESA contractors to undertake work for his employer. Same principal that many local authorities have done for years I think? If you look at the register itself, the opening screen does mention industrial & commercial work.

ESC REG1.JPG

And if you pick a random area and scroll through a few results screen clearly there are Domestic only, Industrial only, Domestic & Industrial, Nic, Eca and most combinations thereof. Here I just searched for 20mile radius in some part of Manchester and went forward a few pages for a typical random sample. .

ESC PAGE SAMPLE.JPG

It is my understanding that a contractor who is listed only as non domestic cannot self certify any domestic work they did choose to undertake. So clearly the register could be used to verify if a contractor is a member of one of the bodies approved to undertake non-domestic work.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
So clearly the register could be used to verify if a contractor is a member of one of the bodies approved to undertake non-domestic work.

Doc H.
but the problem with that is you dont need to be with anyone to do commercial. im with elecsa purely for domestic. if part p didnt exist, i would not be registered with anyone

but the problem with that is you don't need to be with anyone to do commercial. im with elecsa purely for domestic. if part p didnt exist, i would not be registered with anyone
It is not a problem, it is how it has been for many years. The principal with regard to commercial work is no different to what it was before part p came along. Some contractors chose to be member of some bodies other did not and some businesses requested contractors to be a member of certain bodies others do not.  Which is why I said "it is basically asking for NIC & ESA contractors to undertake work for his employer. Same principal that many local authorities have done for years!"  Which does not negate the registers usefulness for looking for approved NIC & ECA contractors for commercial work. For the record we also know that you don't have to be with anyone to do domestic work either. DIY'ers can still do their own electrical work if they so wish. The register is just a members list accessible by the public with postcode and name search features. I fail to see why you consider it a problem?

Doc H.

That was my thinking. I k ow that contractors chose to join bodies before part p came along. Who ever has come up the idea I've been e-mailed clearly has no understanding of how any of it works. They simply believe that belonging to that register is a guarantee of competence.Which it isn't as with probably had to deal with registered f uckwits. As a matter of a fact the contractors we last used for a three yearling EICR quoted rev's from the 16TH on his certs for a test done in Dec 2012-march 2013. I've registered my disapproval of the idea. The safety manager wants it writing. One of things I was going to put in was the fact it's restrictive which, as pointed out, is what a lot of councils have been doing for years.

Although I agree with step to a point. I think that register is aimed af the domestic market. It even points that way in it's blurb.

Within England and Wales it provides a single access point for reaching 80% of registered domestic electrical contractors, who undertake 90% of domestic electrical work performed under building regulations.

Although I agree with step to a point. I think that register is aimed af the domestic market. It even points that way in it's blurb.

Within England and Wales it provides a single access point for reaching 80% of registered domestic electrical contractors, who undertake 90% of domestic electrical work performed under building regulations.

Yeah I know part P don't mean anything for the machinery. That wasn't what I was getting at. I don't think whoever has made this stipulation has a clue about anything whether it's part p, competent persons scheme, being a memebr of NIC, NAPIT or whoever.........

The contractors we use are mainly for installation of power for DB's or machine feeds.

BTW we don't do office lighting. As a matter of a fact I actually don't touch the tools at all any more. I'm an office jock now so all that is 'beneath' me.  :innocent

My take on this is there are two reasons for joining a scheme.

1) you do a lot of domestic work so need a mechanism to sign off part P work.

2) you like the idea of having lots of flashy looking initials after your company logo and somehow think it makes you "better"

So 1) is the only real "need" for joining a scheme.  and if you live in a country without part P :innocent then there really is no need to bother.

If someone then comes along saying you can only do my commercial work if you are signed up to a scheme is really talking rubbish.  Unfortunately it seems their right to stipulate that.  My take id that if they are going to impose such restrictions, then they are likely to be a fussy customer to work for and more trouble than they are worth.  

as for point '2', i dont see why i should advertise the scam provider when they do very little for me or the electrical industry. i dont have any scam logo's or name etc anywhere on my vehicles or paperwork. closest to that is the odd line of 'part p registered'

Having been self employed for 28 years I joined the NICEIC 27 years ago as an Approved Contractor for one reason.

Many companies and housing associations would not consider you if you were not NIC or ECA.

After just one year of trading I realised I was losing work in the areas I wanted to work in so signed up.

When Part P came along nothing changed, we still pay the same either way.

We still work for companies who will not use you if you are not AC so for that reason we stay in.

Haven't read all the posts so this may have been said but as the OP thought this register is a made up one by NICEC / Elecsa / Eca for promotion of their part P members only. Being restricted to this list is a bit like saying you can buy Heniz baked beans from Tesco and ASDA but not Sainsbury's.

There is discussion about a single register incorporating all the schemes to clarify this type of confusion but it's not running yet as far as I know.

You're right Aospark  , and it should be upon us shortly.        Should never have been two registers.........case of in-fighting between scheme operators.....they were ordered to get it sorted by the Parlaimentary Committee on Part P  or the government would step in .  

Latest posts