Electrician failed to provide EIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarChris

Reaction score
An electrician did some work in March for me and hasn't yet issued an EIC they say they'll get it done but don't. Who should I complain to?
I'm planning on writing once more to him telling him I'm about to put in a complaint, naming the 'professional?' body I will be complaining to may make him get his finger out.

What works did they do?
Connecting a solar inverter, fitting a new critical load consumer unit, add a garage unit...

Surely an EIC is required for such works?

n.b. I applied and was granted permission by uk power networks for the solar inverter connection and provided the commissioning paperwork, See below

Device Type: PV Solar
Many thanks for submitting the commissioning paperwork for the above address. I can confirm your documents were received on 14th March 2023 confirming an installation dated of 31st August 2022.
We've updated our records confirming that this generator is now commissioned and running in parallel with our electricity network. This is confirmation that the application, approval, and commissioning procedure specified in Engineering Recommendation G99 for this type of connection, has been followed correctly.
n.b. there reference to "31st August 2022" confused me but they apparently use the date of the application or expected installation date (which was significantly delayed due to inverter availability).

Last edited:
if he's registered with a scheme then you could complain to them but gnerally they dont care. if he's not registered with anyone then no one to complain to

shite, butt hats ths broken system we've got

Most people advertise who they are registered with, so check their website and confirm registration with NAPIT or NICEIC website.

He's probably just been rather busy and forgotten to do the paperwork, so ask politely for the necessary.

Thanks for the info. I found out using: https://www.competentperson.co.uk/
that he is registered with NIC EIC!
I have reminded several time but he's not replied to my last three emails/texts. Hence my desire to be able to apply pressure by saying I will contact NIC EIC if he doesn't respond.
I think very few people will know that they should be given an EIC

Thanks for the info. I found out using: https://www.competentperson.co.uk/
that he is registered with NIC EIC!
I have reminded several time but he's not replied to my last three emails/texts. Hence my desire to be able to apply pressure by saying I will contact NIC EIC if he doesn't respond.
I think very few people will know that they should be given an EIC

Installing a consumer unit or new circuit requires an EIC and a Part-P building regs compliance notification within 30days..

So if it was back in March that the work was done....
stop faffing around and just start a formal complaint if you know he is NICEIC..

NICEC have a complaints procedure..
https://niceic.com/about-us/complaints/

Hi the Electrician has eventually replied as below (he'd fitted a Solar inverter, a second consumer unit for critical load) before fitting he said it was fine for me to supply the inverter, consumer unit etc. and run the cables.
"I never mentioned, and you never asked for any form of NICEIC certification And I will not be providing any installation certification, for an additional fee I can carry out an EICR which will confirm the wiring is all safe, but won't state that I have installed it, I will never provide any form of certification if I haven't done the entirety of the installation, i.e running cables etc, you had already done all of this."
Is it a legal requirement to issue an EIC after such work? If so who enforces it? Building control?

well that's one of the issues with wanting to do half the work yourself... a 3 part EIC does exist for situations like this where multiple people / companies do different parts of the work, but many are not aware of it.

convenient that you missed that part out of your original post...

Even if YOU did some wiring and supplied the new CU, I am assuming the electrician fitted the new CU without help from you?

If so it would be just like any other CU swap where who knows what DIY Joe wiring has been done before, the electrician tests everything, changes the CU and issues an EIC. He could do that just for the CU change ignoring any previous work that you did,

I supplied the inverter, consumer unit, cables etc. (bought from main distributors) I ran the cables to and from the loft, which he was able to inspect as nothing was under floorboards (i.e. In the garage, airing cupboard or loft. All the connections were done by the electrician. My questions still stands: Is it a legal requirement to issue an EIC after such work? If so who enforces it? Building control?

O.k. Not a legal requirement. How would you describe it? Common, Normal, Recommended....?
The three other electricians that have done work for me at various properties (two of which were much smaller jobs) have all provided an EIC.

I supplied the inverter, consumer unit, cables etc. (bought from main distributors) I ran the cables to and from the loft, which he was able to inspect as nothing was under floorboards (i.e. In the garage, airing cupboard or loft. All the connections were done by the electrician. My questions still stands: Is it a legal requirement to issue an EIC after such work? If so who enforces it? Building control?
so he could see all the cable runs, then smacks of lame excuses, especially if he did all the connections.

I would find out who he is registered with and complain to them.

BS7671 wiring regulations are non-statutory...
Building Regulations Part-P is statutory...

All electrical work should be done in accordance with the guidance set out in BS7671...
But as DIY electrical work is legally permitted...
Unless someone is seriously injured due to an electrical fault or failure of part of the installation, it may never even be questioned... or investigated..!!!

However... while any tradesperson is doing work for a third party customer for monetary gain, the location where they are working, (be it an office / shop / factory / house / caravan / shed / etc).. Is a "Work-Place"!
As such it would come under the Health & Safety at Work legislation.. Which is statutory...
And H&S@Work will typically be referencing BS7671 for any electrical work-place issues.

Basically BS7671 is non-statutory BUT is does come under the umbrella of other various statutory legislation..

So... back to BS7671...
One of the basic requirements, (e.g regulations 644.1 and 644.4.201 and model forms in Appendix 6 ), is to issue appropriate electrical certificates for any additions or alterations that you have done to an installation. This may be an Electrical Installation Certificate, (EIC), or a Minor Works Certificate, (MWC)...

Either way, if you have energised a new circuit, or an alteration to an existing circuit, then various electrical tests should have been done to verify that in the event of a fault, the source(s) of energy will be disconnected fast enough to prevent danger to people property or livestock..

These test results should be documented on the appropriate electrical certificate and given to the person ordering the work.

Do you have any written estimate/quotation/invoice, (printed / e-mail / text etc), with this persons name / business / contact details etc, for the work you requested to be done?

If this was all verbal... you may be up poop-creak, without a paddle!!!

But a few general rules of thumb....
[1] NICEIC don't normally get involved in contract disputes...
[2] NICEIC are happy to get involved with miss-use of logo problems..
[3] It is always easier to investigate claims where there is some form of written contract / quote / invoice.. etc..
[4] Trading standards may be the avenue to pursue if NICEIC are reluctant to do anything?

My gut feeling is that you do have good grounds to complain...
Its just finding the best avenue / door-to-push, to gets things moving!

It sounds to me like someone was after a quick easy-money, no-hassle job, without being prepared to stand-up and take responsibility for the work they have done!!!
Thus NO paper-trail!!!!!! (AKA cowboy - scumbag)

Personally I would have thought that a reputable electrician will either..
(a) walk away and don't do the work..
or..
(b) do the work and do the tests and issue certificates...

Hope you get it resolved!

Thanks 'SPECIAL LOCATION' for a very full, thorough and useful explanation. I am rather limited in how I progress. The electrician has done the MCS (Solar) course and once his 'registration' is complete he has agreed to certify the installation which will mean I can get paid for the electricity I'm exporting. Over £500's worth this year! So no point in cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Last edited:
These works fall under Part P of the Building Regulations which is a statutory document. Within Part P there is a requirement to supply certification to the client.