Electricians Pay

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toml

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering. How much do you guys think a sparky qualified for 3 years with 2391 inspection and testing and a qualified supervisor on a niceic di scheme should be getting paid being employed by a company (doing all domestic electrics)

Hi

Just wondering. How much do you guys think a sparky qualified for 3 years with 2391 inspection and testing and a qualified supervisor on a niceic di scheme should be getting paid being employed by a company (doing all domestic electrics)

This is an impossible question to answer, to try and clarify, you have to remember that a basic principle of business is that all employers pay their staff sufficient to get the work done while maximising profit. Whilst not incurring a high turnover of staff who are leaving every other week because they can get paid better for the same work elsewhere. So if you are extremely valuable to your employer they will probably pay over the odds to keep you, as you are bringing in a lot of revenue. If you can earn more, for doing the same work elsewhere, you are a fool for staying. If you cannot get better elsewhere and your employer can get someone else equally qualified without too much hassle, then providing you are getting the minimum wage then legally they are meeting their obligations. In the current market conditions, (where unemployment is still a significant problem),  there is no such thing as a set rate everyone should be paid for doing a particular type of work, no matter what trade they are in. If Jobs are bountiful and unemployment is very low then employers would need to start paying more to attract the right sort of staff. Binky summed it up in five words.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was me i would be thinking,

what am i provided by the company ?

clothing, tools, van, diesel, training, holiday pay.

What do you have to do ?

are you working for a big company where you can get lost on site for 5 days of the week doing sweet FA and then book in for over time at the weekend OR are you running jobs, collecting other workers, feeling pressure to get things done.

what can i earn working for another company doing a similar or different role?

Sometimes less wages can be a better deal with all the other factors thrown in.

Can I get a better deal?

ask for better terms and if they can not deliver then move on to greener pastures

For example:

i am self employed: Say i earn £8-900 in 5 days which seems good at first, but then i have £100 a week in overheads for running my own operation, can do £100 a week in diesel, can spend 2-8 hours doing paperwork, no holiday pay etc. After looking at my costs, working for a firm where i have no worries and just collect wages looks quite attractive. I can earn more, make more on materials, so for me having the freedom to choose what i want to do suits my lifestyle.

Most firms will try to pay staff as little as possible, and all us sparks want to earn as much as possible.

I know a lot of firms that only pay £10-£15 an hour.

Last week i was offered £350 a day plus parking to work in London for a guy that supplies and installs machinery, but it is long hard days, i dont know how long he would take to pay it (if at all), and worst of all i am too busy to take him up on his offer. ( i did say i would be interested in the new year)

Not a lot to be honest mate, the rates house bashing firms are offering at the minute are ridiculous but times are hard and lads are desperate, seen a few advertised for £9ph doing one day rewires and the like in London that's how silly it's getting

Toml  even though its house bashing , if you are testing /certing  and supervising  I'd have thought whatever the JIB /union Technician rate is .

I don't know what they are as I'm self employed .

Google JIB   for Union rates of pay , at the very least you should'nt be below them .

If they're doing the old trick of giving you a load of responsibility for carp money , you'd be better on the tools , just turn up , wire a ring and a few lights , go home and forget it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Toml  even though its house bashing , if you are testing /certing  and supervising  I'd have thought whatever the JIB /union Technician rate is .

I don't know what they are as I'm self employed .

Google JIB   for Union rates of pay , at the very least you should'nt be below them .

If they're doing the old trick of giving you a load of responsibility for carp money , you'd be better on the tools , just turn up , wire a ring and a few lights , go home and forget it.
Well I wish I could do that. I'm expected to be on the tools aswell as quote jobs, meetings with customers etc for a pay rate that is..............well closer to minimum wage than the jib rate. jib rate starts at £11 ph, for me at the moment I'm on £7 an hour. The perks of the job are that I can have the word mug written on my forehead any time I want!

Really??................. Mate that's appalling, how many jobs have you got on the go for them? Are they expecting you to test aswell?

Just out of interest what are they paying the lads who aren't supervising and running jobs?

We charge our sparks out at 200 a day let alone pay a subby 200. i am also based in the south, 

now i understand subys would like more money if they are testing and running jobs, But we have had an apprectice for over 4 years he also can do the above but pay him 7.50 PH....... he still can not do all of it and some times is unsure.. but we have trained him and for the first 2 years he lost me money lol. Bout time he payed me back haha 

If you are charging £200 for a spark for 8 hrs, then our rate is something like 80% higher for new customers, and 40% higher for existing reliable customers all + VAT, door to door, plus mileage charges.

We are as busy as I can cope with.

Hi  Toml  ,  looks like they're taking the Part Pee TBH  .

No one qualified to work as an electrician should be working for less than the basic JIB/Union Electricians rate       ( sorry I don't know what they are).

If you are running jobs and organising up to 6 others   you should be on the Approved rate .

If you are doing the above  plus supervising ,  testing and certing  you should be on a Technician/supervisor rate .

This stuff has risen with the recession , but it leaves it stinks.

As Northern says , if they're paying you £7  /hr  what are they paying the sparks under you ? 

NICEIC  I think you said ...so who is the Qualifying Manager ? Who should be doing the testing and signing off ...........I hope you are not signing any of the jobs off .

Theres a high profile case from the midlands going legal at the moment ...................  I would urge you to be very careful what you put your name to for these fingers.

if you are qualified and getting less than shelf stacking at Tescos, get a job at Tesco, its safer, warmer and has a pension. Can earn more money washing cars at £6 a go

Well I wish I could do that. I'm expected to be on the tools aswell as quote jobs, meetings with customers etc for a pay rate that is..............well closer to minimum wage than the jib rate. jib rate starts at £11 ph, for me at the moment I'm on £7 an hour. The perks of the job are that I can have the word mug written on my forehead any time I want!
im on £6.25 as a labourer while i train but even the main labourer for my boss is on more than £7 your getting ripped. if you got ur 3years and testing why dont you join a scam i mean scheme and work for yourself if you do 4-5 good days a month you'd be on more. i know the guys round by me are on about £12-£16 working full time for the guy we sub to for electrics and thats doing council work. and im in the welsh valleys (poorer than poor) and the council we contract to pays the least compared to the nearest other 2 (im thinking of going to diff company that contracts them more money for everyone)

Latest posts