Experienced worker route

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Hi guys wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I’ve had 5 years +experience within the electrical industry. A lot has been electrical maintenance but also have experience with domestic and industrial installations. I have the following qualifications:
HNC in electrical/electronic engineering
Level 3 NVQ in engineering maintenance electrical
18th edition wiring regs
Test and inspect.
I am looking at going down the experienced worker route to finally get recognised as an electrician. Do you guys have any idea on price I should be paying for this qualification? Also should I have to pay for the skill scan?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Do you really need a gold card. Being recognised as an electrician in the UK is not subject to you holding a gold card.

This is quite true however there is a tendency now with many positions/employers asking for the gold card as a means to demonstrating qualification level.
I have held a gold technicians card for 25 + years and have been asked for evidence of it twice. I'll admit though my qualifications probably surpass what they are looking for but yes i agree this is probably the case.

I have held a gold technicians card for 25 + years and have been asked for evidence of it twice. I'll admit though my qualifications probably surpass what they are looking for but yes i agree this is probably the case.
Perhaps a better answer then would be it’s not relevant if like me you have qualification above and beyond those required for a gold card.

??

As I’d say the majority will have gold card qualies. 🤔

Maybe. I peruse countless CVs and interview/assess many people and I will admit the current qualifications route is a minefield. Someone who has A+ qualifications is no better and possibly not as good as someone with B+ qualifications.

Maybe. I peruse countless CVs and interview/assess many people and I will admit the current qualifications route is a minefield. Someone who has A+ qualifications is no better and possibly not as good as someone with B+ qualifications.

I believe that this in part is down to social attitudes and poor clarity in qualifications. Work ethic should be a qualification on its own, employers might stand a better chance!!

The dumbing down of qualifications started with the change of the ONC/HNC route to a HND, then the national standers statistics needed the exams to be made easier so the standard could be met, I had an Engineer on one of my projects who had a BsC in Building, I could not get my head around that.🥴

I am forever being told the only way I can become recognised as an electrician is to have the NVQ level 3 which is industry standard. I never completed any level 2 qualifications as my background was in engineering then I transitioned more to the electrical maintenance/installation side. I just wish there was more clarity in terms of what the actual requirements are it’s seems there are so many debates about this topic.

I am forever being told the only way I can become recognised as an electrician is to have the NVQ level 3 which is industry standard. I never completed any level 2 qualifications as my background was in engineering then I transitioned more to the electrical maintenance/installation side. I just wish there was more clarity in terms of what the actual requirements are it’s seems there are so many debates about this topic.
'Standards' seem to be set by whoever you are paying money too..😃

I also transitioned from engineering to the electrical trade. I most certainly do not have NVQ level 3, but do have the old 2391 inspection and testing, which seems to count for more. I have also held the ' gold card ' and ' approved contractor' status at various times, neither of which I bother with now.

The ECS scheme is more about getting onto building sites and showing you meet H&S requirements for that line of work. There's several different levels of that scheme, so I would read up on what they want, get the safety exam they require done and put an application in. I came out with ' supervisor ' status ( or whatever the phrase they use is) but they have several lower status options you can get that still gives you a card and opens up those sorts of employment opportunities.