Electricity Northwest

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikel

Reaction score
Have a quote to complete for some work in out buildings at a farm. Having read the appropriate section regarding Agriculture buildings I see it says I cannot use a TNC earthing arrangement.  No problems as I'm thinking of making the outbuildings a TT arrangement.  Just out of interest I thought I'd contact the local DNO (in this case electricity north west) to find out what the earthing arrangements at the farm are.

I  spoke to a very helpful person who wasn't sure but promised to find out.  10 minutes later he rang back and said "we're not sure what it is, it is probably a TNS but may be a PME system.  We won't go and look unless you get a high earth loop reading...........................................

So how would you determine what a high earth loop reading was if they can't tell you what earthing arrangements are there and thus what limits your looking at.

I know I can test the incoming supply, which would give me a reasonable chance of being right, but is a reasonable chance good enough?

Sorry my bad explanation, your explanation was my understanding.  The only supply to the farm is too the farmhouse and thats the one they can't tell me what it is

correct Noz

the OP needs to specify a farm, or a farm house, there is a difference.

why on earth would you need to contact the DNO regarding supply type? can you not see the incomer?

Canoeboy said:
Your right but sometimes the DNO don't oblige and haven't a clue....

My friend has a farm, new supply a year or so ago (old supply in a different building is TT), new supply in a metal framed, steel roofed, open cow shed is TNCS with a DNO PME sticker on it......

:C
the DNO can supply whatever they want,

what you are permitted to use under BS7671 may be different to the supply type though.

AFAIK they can supply you with whatever the **** they want, they are a law onto themselves,

what they will then allow you to do with it is completely different.

So how about this.

On a farm, there are two 11KV, 2 wire overhead poles.

each pole has a TX on it.

One TX feeds pair of domestic service heads ( one from each phase) - which supply the farmhouse, holiday rental cottages, farm outbuilding submains etc.

That service head is TN-C-S

The other pole is in the middle of a field. There`s a white meter box, screwed to the bottom of the pole, with a head, meter, and tails to a 16A commando.........THAT one is TT - and the commando feeds a caravan >100 yds away; AND a trailing extension lead in the greenhouses :slap

Latest posts