EPS on Powerlux 5K hybrid Inverter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awaterspyl

Reaction score
Question for someone knowledgeable on the Luxpower LXP-5K hybrid inverter.

I understand that the EPS output is limited to 13A and it's not suitable for whole house backup but I would like a bit more flexibility than a "double socket and an extension lead" for critical loads.

What I'd like to do is feed the EPS output into the consumer unit via a manual transfer switch for when there is a power outage. Before switching over from the grid supply I can then check battery levels (2 x PylonTech U3000C), unplug any heavy loads and switch off any unnecessary circuits at the consumer unit.

My concerns would be protection of the inverter and batteries plus any earthing requirements.

Has anyone done this successfully with a Luxpower hybrid inverter as I'm just getting "It's not designed for this" from UK support.

Thanks, Andy

Question for someone knowledgeable on the Luxpower LXP-5K hybrid inverter.

I understand that the EPS output is limited to 13A and it's not suitable for whole house backup but I would like a bit more flexibility than a "double socket and an extension lead" for critical loads.

What I'd like to do is feed the EPS output into the consumer unit via a manual transfer switch for when there is a power outage. Before switching over from the grid supply I can then check battery levels (2 x PylonTech U3000C), unplug any heavy loads and switch off any unnecessary circuits at the consumer unit.

My concerns would be protection of the inverter and batteries plus any earthing requirements.

Has anyone done this successfully with a Luxpower hybrid inverter as I'm just getting "It's not designed for this" from UK support.

Thanks, Andy
Hi Andy
I dont know much about the Luxpower inverters but i can give you my opinion on what you propose.
im not surprised lux say the inverters are not designed for that, probably not completely due to the current limit of 13A but due to the need for neutral earth bonding when switching over to the EPS function. When you are grid connected the neutral-earth bond is upstream but when you lose the grid the EPS output will rely on a secondary neutral earth bond downstream, usually in the EPS CU.
You could probably get it to work but without that EPS neutral-earth bond your RCD wont protect you from electric shock under certain fault conditions. A neutral-earth bond is needed for the protection to trigger correctly.

Thanks for the reply Scott.

So this would require the addition of TT earthing. Does this need to be switched as well or can it run in combination with the current grid earthing.

Latest posts